FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which ProRes Converter to Simultaneously make HQ & Proxy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
Which ProRes Converter to Simultaneously make HQ & Proxy?
on May 11, 2014 at 5:55:07 pm

Whats the best, fastest, cheapest ProRes ProRes Converter to Simultaneously make HQ & Proxy files and place them in their assigned folders.

After a 2 year hiatus from editing I've returned with 3 huge jobs. I've decided to continue with my trusty FCP 7 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 work station patrician.

The client has finally submitted the delivery specs, ProRes HQ, and I've decided to offline/online with a tapeless workflow of 3 -EXCAMs, 1 - FS700 and up to 7 GoPro's. I estimate 100 hours of footage so far.

I understand the tapeless workflow, although I'm all ears if anyone has words of caution, I've seen Shane and other tutorials and have been down this road before. I understand the pit falls of GoPro not working with Log and Transfer, dang it!

I plan to convert the GoPro files to ProRes HQ and ProRes Proxy simultaneously while sending each type file to it's own folder. I DO NOT want to use compressor from FCP 7, way to slow and clunky for setting in/out and not sure how the newer versions of compressor will work with the older OSX. I love Episode but can't afford the $.

I know about MPEG Streamclip and have used it, I was hoping to find a converter that will crank through both file types once I set in/out points on several clips and place them in their appropriate folders. An app that works good with Snow Leopard 10.60.8 so it cranks through numerous short and long clips while I sleep without crashing.

Thank You,

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
Re: Which ProRes Converter to Simultaneously make HQ & Proxy?
on May 11, 2014 at 6:30:37 pm

hmmm, maybe Compressor 4 using my current OSX partition?

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 11, 2014 at 11:12:10 pm

FCP-X will do this. Make a Proxy and an HQ file, and allow you to link to both. Compressor can do this, but I don't know if it'll make it relinkable...because you need timecode and reel number to do that, and Compressor doesn't do reel numbers, and often won't transfer timecode. You'll have to test this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 12, 2014 at 12:24:10 pm

Resolve can also do what you need.

it's a different interface, but not to hard to learn
and it's free if you are working with HD & under.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on May 12, 2014 at 1:00:23 pm

yes, linking is the problem. I've used older compressor before as I stumbled my way through it compressing simple basic ops.

I bought new compressor and of course it outputs what I need and places in each folder or I drag out of Source to appropriate folder no biggie. It also names each file with HQ or proxy name in the clip file name so relinking will have to be manual for each clip.

I need to learn more about how to have each clip name without the HQ or proxy added to the name or find an app that will let me control naming while doing the other task mentioned.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 12, 2014 at 1:49:48 pm
Last Edited By Nick Meyers on May 12, 2014 at 1:51:07 pm

i'm pretty sure you can get on top of the name suffix in Compressor, if you use droplets.
i think you can control if it has the suffix or not.

of course the Reel# & Timecode issues would be more of a show-stoper.

the name thing is quite do-able in Resolve.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on May 12, 2014 at 6:08:38 pm

After spending more time researching rather than just doing it manually I've landed on MPEG Streamclip, make HQ's then proxy with same name using batch and manually setting where files are saved. Need to handoff proxy files today.

Did a test to see numerous clips maintain name, edited with effects, transitions, make offline, connect to either codec and render and play in a proxy and HQ timeline.

Kinda of a pain, but works. No TC and no Reel #? Are there issues I should be concerned with later in the workflow?

I searched for Resolve, Resolve video compression, Resolve ProRes and found Black Magic products, but no immediate info on using Resolve to compress?

MPEG cranks about 1:1 on my system, Compressor not as fast, slow process to bring in many hours with trim in/out.

I'm looking for more details regarding Resolve, Compressor Droplets or naming convention, any thing else?

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 13, 2014 at 12:47:31 am

"No TC and no Reel #? Are there issues I should be concerned with later in the workflow?"

huge issues.
DO NOT PROCEED YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY!

some finishing apps can reconnect based on file name alone, but no Reel or TC is just asking for double.

Resolve was a grading app primarily , but is used more & more for other things, like Data wrangling,

did i mention a simple batch re-namer would quickly deal with any added suffixes?

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on May 13, 2014 at 10:58:02 am

I did a test without reel # and TC and it worked with me manually connecting same name HQ & proxy files?

Please tell me more about batch renamer? I'll look at resolve again.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 14, 2014 at 9:17:50 am

throwing away the reel# & TC from your camera originals is a very wrong thing to be doing.
what happens if you need to re-visit the camera originals? you're totally stuck.

and just because FCP can re-concet to a bunch of clips with no complex edits in them doesn't really prove much.

trust me dont follow a path that involves you discarding that important metadata.
especially when you can just as easily keep it.
heck use FCP if you must, it'll do what you need.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on May 14, 2014 at 10:39:11 am

I'm not throwing away GoPro reel# and TC, I'm trying to figure out how to convert and make ProRes HQ and proxy files to include reel # and TC for a offline/online workflow.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 14, 2014 at 1:20:35 pm

i wonder if Resolve can use file names to create Reel#s?
that would be useful for the GoPro material

im not that familiar with it, but it does a lot of things.
it's the most Pro tool you can get for this considering it's price,

the workflow I've used for GoPro is to create a master FIRST (with Reel#s), then create edit version from that,
not do both at once.

if MPeg StreamClip is working for you, great,
but if you ask if it's a problem to not have reel# and TC, i'll say "yes" :)
especially on a big show, where you are handing files back & forth between different departments.

FWIW, FCP's Media Manager can't successfully trim media if it doesn't have a proper TC track.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on May 14, 2014 at 1:27:26 pm

My MPEG test was from a single long GoPro file, edited in to a 15-minuted time line with slo mo, speed ups, transitions, title tool, etc. Everything connected from proxy to HQ. I understand the reel name and tc issue and agree that workflow is full of problems.

Checking out digital rebellion now. Anyone used digital rebellion to reel name and TC.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on May 14, 2014 at 5:15:08 pm

Hi Michael,
with regards to converting, i find Adobe media encoder handles lots of media and can do 2 codecs at the same time - of course you only get this app bundled with other adobe apps. Otherwise use mpeg stream clip or compressor. i find compressor hangs when loading too many clips.

With regards to naming and reel numbers, i am really really happy with the following:

qtchange - this is a great app for changing video data. I use it to add/change reel numbers for dslr footage all the time. it can do folders or individual files. Only costs $25. It can also change timecode and other things, but i find that as long as the reel names are in order, timecode can be flexible.
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

a better finder renamer - this is an amazing app that everyone should have. It can change file/document names according to all sorts of patterns, sequences, rename and replace sequences. You name it. It has saved hour and hour of my time.
http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

Any filmmaker using DSLRs should have these 2 apps.

cheers
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]