FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export From FCP to Avid

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dylan toombs
Export From FCP to Avid
on May 8, 2014 at 11:09:05 pm

Hello,

I have ingested H.264 files into FCP and synced my second system audio to files. I did it this way because the footage will be ingested and transcoded into avid. I didn't want to change the files, just sync the second system audio and loose the onboard camera audio track.

My issue is in the export. I end up with either a perfect file in the same codec that I brought it in with but now with the new audio track or with just a green video with the new audio.

How do I keep my original codec H.264 and add the new audio track without this happening.

My goal is to keep the files the same just add that audio track so that when the editor who will be using avid can just transcode the files and be all set?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export From FCP to Avid
on May 9, 2014 at 12:22:10 am

Avid can work with XML & OMF files. Talk to your Avid guy and figure out what he needs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2014 at 1:26:34 am

[dylan toombs] "I have ingested H.264 files into FCP and synced my second system audio to files."

FCP doesn't work with H.264 files natively. All sorts of issues crop up when you try to sync, or export the files.

[dylan toombs] "I did it this way because the footage will be ingested and transcoded into avid. "

That makes ZERO sense. You used FCP because the footage will be used in Avid?

[dylan toombs] "My issue is in the export. I end up with either a perfect file in the same codec that I brought it in with but now with the new audio track or with just a green video with the new audio. "

See? Told you. And yes, it'll be the same codec, but it'll be recompressed. it won't be lossless at all. And now you see that FCP doesn't work with H.264 files.

[dylan toombs] "How do I keep my original codec H.264 and add the new audio track without this happening. "

You don't. You are doing things wrong. You bring the footage into Avid (AMA to access, then TRANSCODE to DNxHD. Avid also doesn't work well with H.264 files). Then you mark IN on your audio, same on Video at a sync point, and then AUTOSYNC the footage.

[dylan toombs] "My goal is to keep the files the same just add that audio track so that when the editor who will be using avid can just transcode the files and be all set?"

Then you need to do this all in the Avid, the way that I outlined above. This is what Assistant editors do. Bring in the footage, transcode, and sync the footage. You cannot do what you are trying to do...which is replace the audio on the camera originals, and keep the exact same file and codec with no compression.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 9, 2014 at 3:57:02 am

If you are hell bent on doing your syncing in FCP first, and you don't want to install the Avid DNX codecs, there is nothing wrong with transcoding to ProRes. Avid can work with that just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]