FORUMS: list search recent posts

issue with media drives suddenly disconnecting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathryn Pasternak
issue with media drives suddenly disconnecting
on May 6, 2014 at 9:52:08 pm

I'm having an issue with my external media drives suddenly disconnecting (without any physical provocation) and wonder if someone can help me troubleshoot.

I'm in the final stages of cutting a feature doc in FCP7. I have a late 2012 iMac with a Thunderbolt screen, a Drobo 5D with 5 X 4 TB, and 3 X 8 TB thunderbolt G-Drives. My project is on the Drobo along with most of my ProRes media files. One of the G-Drives has one year's worth of prores files (from a 4 year project). The other three years are on the Drobo. One of the other G-Drives has GoPro footage, and the third G-Drive has other client projects not related to the feature doc.

My issue is that while editing in FCP7, my G-drives will disconnect. It's the same drive usually, over and over again. But sometimes another drive will drop out. Then of course FCP7 panics and ends up not being able to find half of my media. I will then methodically close everything, check all the connections, reboot all of it (which of course takes a lot of time) only to have the situation repeat. The G-drives are not over-full of media. The one that keeps dropping out has 2.67 TB of room left.

I have backups of all the media on other G-drives. The Thunderbolt G-Drive that keeps disconnecting is less than a year old.

I read online somewhere that sometimes Intel based Macs need to be reset by unplugging their power supply for 15 sec. When I tried this, it fixed the issue for 2 days. Today the issue started again.

Someone suggested it could be a faulty Thunderbolt cable. Or the drive is faulty. Does this sound right? Any other possible reasons for this happening?

thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]