COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Franklin
Final Cut Pro V10.1.1 Slow Export
on May 6, 2014 at 6:51:59 am

HI all...

This question is regarding FCPX 10.1.1

I have the following hardware.

27inch iMac late 2013. 3.4ghz Haswell i7, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Fusion drive and GTX 775M

I have a single track 2minute video shot in AVCHD 1920x1080 @ 60p straight cuts and a couple of simple fade transitions

On the timeline everything seems fluid. But when I export I have to say I'm underwhelmed given the hardware at the export times. I don't have specific timings but to export that 2 minute video was greater than 5 minutes. I was expecting at least real time or less.

Further more when look at the system monitor (for the CPU) it's sitting around 20% so I'm assuming this is all going via GPU.

Am I missing some kind of settings/preferences/configuration/tweaks that would make this faster?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Final Cut Pro V10.1.1 Slow Export
on May 6, 2014 at 12:46:19 pm

You included everything but the format you're exporting to, and the export settings. For example a single pass h264 is hardware accelerated in the iMac, and would literally take seconds, while a 2 pass vbr would be more along the lines of what you're seeing.

Return to posts index

Steve Franklin
on May 7, 2014 at 3:36:09 am

Thanks...I'm not sure now what I exported as.

You mentioned that h264 single pass is gpu accelerated, can you tell me when I can find that technical information..?

Thanks
Steve

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 7, 2014 at 3:45:57 am

I don't remember. I learn things and I remember them. Google it.

Technically it's the intel processors in the iMac. Maybe just the i5/7 or sandy/ivy or haswell. But the xeons don't have it. You have to compress CBR to be exact. I guess single pass could be single pass vbr. Try it. Set it to 75% quality and it looks pretty darn good, extremely fast export, and good file size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]