FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro & MPEG SlipStream Output Formats for FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
GoPro & MPEG SlipStream Output Formats for FCP 7
on May 5, 2014 at 5:18:18 pm

What is the best (most suitable) format for output from MPEG SlipStream for my GoPro clips? I am shooting them in 1920 x 1440 30fps. The timeline I like to use is 1280 x 1080 (but not necessary). WHen I use the Slipstream program it auto-selects "Apple Motion JPEG-A". On many other projects working for television we used Apple Pro-Res 422 HQ (because I was told to by the production company).
The JPEG-A clips seem to chug when I play them in Quicktime like they do when I play the GoPro clips upon transfer right out of the camera (I haven't put them in a timeline yet. I want to check with THE COW to see before I go any further).
Any recommendations on best formatting?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: GoPro & MPEG SlipStream Output Formats for FCP 7
on May 5, 2014 at 5:22:12 pm

Neither of the two resolutions you give are normal for FCP, which works with standarized video resolutions.

Are they just typos, or are you really trying to fit a square peg into a round hole?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on May 5, 2014 at 5:47:30 pm

Of course----jamming the misfit sizes where ever I go!
The original GoPro of 1920 x 1440 is the biggest I can shoot so I can crop and reframe for composition. However, the other format is what I use when I combine footage with my HVX-200 (it comes in as compressor DVCPRO HD 1080i60 and frame size: 1280 x 1080). Although I am not combining footage in this one---all GoPro.
And I definitely don't need to fit mis-sized pegs for this. What do you suggest?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 5, 2014 at 6:54:23 pm

Are you SURE that DVCProHD stuff is 1280x1080? The last time I checked, that stuff came in as 1440x1080. And although that Gopro size seems pretty strange, I'll have to assume you got the numbers right; those camers seem to march to the beat of their own drummer.

I suppose it all comes down to your delivery specs: what horizontal & vertical resolution are you delivering?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on May 5, 2014 at 7:02:26 pm

Thanks for keeping at this to help me Dave.
THe resolutions are all from the original HVX 200 clip info and from the GoPro formatting info as well. My output is of no great concern. THis project is to go to Youtube for publicity. Although I have done so much in television that it might be good to keep the formatting to that so I can use the footage in the future for television as well. That format was 1920 x 1080 29.97. (the GoPro seems like it is recording in 4 x 3 but I hear double HD quality so you can zoom-in and still have great HD quality).
Is this enough info?
What do you suggest?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 5, 2014 at 7:22:09 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Are you SURE that DVCProHD stuff is 1280x1080? The last time I checked, that stuff came in as 1440x1080."

DVCPRO HD is 1280x1080...super anamorphic if you will. HDV is 1440x1080. His footage is right.

As for the GoPro footage...Convert it to ProRes. But even then, due to the add frame size, you'll have to render it in FCP. YOu might be able to work with it without needing to render while editing, but you'll get a render bar meaning it will need rendering eventually. That frame size only gives you re-framing ability along the vertical axis...because it is already 1920. But you said you are editing in 1280x720? OK, then all of your footage will eventually need a render, but can all be reframed.

[Daniel Monskey] "(the GoPro seems like it is recording in 4 x 3 but I hear double HD quality so you can zoom-in and still have great HD quality)."

That frame size isn't double HD quality. 4K is (well, it's about 3x HD quality). You just shot 1920x1440...a few hundred pixels larger on one side...as HD is 1920x1080. 720 is the LOW HD quality, that very few networks use.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on May 7, 2014 at 1:18:25 am

Thanks Gentlemen for your speedy responses and help.
I converted the clips using MPEG Slipstream in the Apple Pro Rez 422 HQ format and they play nicely and smooth in Quicktime and are not all that large (ready for a FCP timeline now).
This is the solution I was looking for. I have to look at that 4K format setting on the GoPro Hero3 camera for increased quality---thanks for making me aware of that too.
The Cow is a great resource of professionals who really know their stuff and have compassion to help those not as well versed in the industry.
Thank you all again!
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]