FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intermediate Storage Format?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paula Zimmerman
Intermediate Storage Format?
on May 4, 2014 at 4:08:53 pm

I'm very used to outputting things in their final form the first time around, so this is something new to me. A client is asking me to output his projects in an intermediate form first-as the main edits without the head and tail animations. The idea is that he can see the body edits and I can add the heads and tails later. So, what is the best format for me to provide what he wants, but preserve it in a form that won't change substantially when I add the animations later? I know the final output will be as h.264 .mp4. All the files will be composed of stock photos, stock video, music, and VO. And this is a high volume project. I hope all this makes sense. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Intermediate Storage Format?
on May 5, 2014 at 4:32:51 pm

Hmmmm.... it almost sounds like the client wants a look-see at the project's progress, which implies one sort of file, one that wouldn't have to be gtreat quality. Just enough to see what's going on.

However, the term "intermediate" implies that you'll take your edit into a different application for further work -- color correction & grading, post-production effects, etc. If that's the case, you need to contact the person doing that work to know what he/she wants to have.

This is just a confusion of nomenclature, and once it's sorted out, you'll be good.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paula Zimmerman
on May 16, 2014 at 5:26:05 pm

Probably intermediate is the wrong word. What the client wants is a high-quality, re-purposable file that he can add various intros and outros to later. He has someone else creating the intro animations and then passing those files to me to add later. He's doing a full site re-brand and I'm creating files for the new site based on the current site and there are hundreds of files to re-create. I'm used to doing things to completion, so doing things in multiple versions like this is new for me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2014 at 6:13:24 pm

As long as YOU'RE the person doing the final cut for delivery, H.264 makes a good delivery codec for "lets take a look" type stuff.

You might even ask if you can make the image smaller, something like 640x360, and perhaps even changing the frame rate to 15fps. The file sizes get a LOT smaller doing that.....

...after all, it's just to check the work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]