FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alpha Channels FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Harrison
Alpha Channels FCP7?
on May 2, 2014 at 10:47:24 pm

Hey guys,

I am assisting on a FCP7 job and I was asked to prep non video media, like fonts, and images on Alpha Channels...

I am not sure what what means to prep something on the Alpha Chanel... its been a while since I used FCP7 so if anyone could throw me a bone that would be great. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Alpha Channels FCP7?
on May 2, 2014 at 11:20:23 pm

They'd need to throw me a bone too...I have no idea. The titles inside FCP already have built in Alphas...That's where you'd use the "fonts." Images...what sort of images? Text from photoshop? Stills? What?

This sounds like that old theater joke...get the new guy to wash the gels. (Hint, the gels are made out of GEL, similar to jello...so it'll fall apart in your hands).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawn Harrison
on May 2, 2014 at 11:39:12 pm

Ha. True. I am almost positive the titles will be from Photoshop or AFX. Def not FCP titles.So I guess a better way to phrase the question is how do you set title assets you import to the alpha Chanel. I always thought everything is alpha by default no?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 2, 2014 at 11:48:17 pm

Make sure that your Photoshop files are set up right, so you see the checkerboard...meaning there is no background. Then export/save the files as a format that supports Alphas, like PNG.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2014 at 12:14:42 am

Another thing to watch out for....

There are TWO kinds of alpha channels: Straight (the most common) and Premultiplied (kinda rare). But to dot all those t's and cross those i's, you have know that, too.

FCP likes Straight Alpha Channels, i.e. NOT Premultiplied.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on May 3, 2014 at 5:28:07 pm

To create images with Alpha channels in Photoshop. To give yourself an idea of the workflow open an image in Photoshop. In the layers pallate on the RH side double click in the image thumbnail. A dialogue box will open, in the color menu choose none, close the box. Now from the toolbox select the marquee tool, click and drag anywhere on the image then hit the backspace key. The section you selected will be removed revealing the transparency underneath.

Now the vital bit, save the image as a Tiff - include layers. in the second dialogue box which opens during the save process you will see a tick box, Preserve transparency, check that and complete the save, ignoring any warnings about layers and transparency

Import the image into FCP. Place it over the top of a video track and you will see that the hole you cut in the image in Photoshop is there revealing the video underneath.

This is just a demonstration so If for instance you were creating text with an alpha channel, start with a blank sheet with the content black. Create your text in your chosen color. Take the magic wand then click on the background to select it then hit the backspace key to delete it leaving the text on transparency. Save as before and your'e done.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 4, 2014 at 1:03:05 am

You need to save in 32-bit to preserve alpha channels. Many like .png but I cling to 32-bit Targa, Tiff, and photoshop files with the layers preserved .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]