FORUMS: list search recent posts

Am I setting up a project correctly?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Clark
Am I setting up a project correctly?
on May 2, 2014 at 7:48:38 pm

Hello all,

I haven't used Final Cut pro for ages, I am in the process of setting up a new project and I just want to make sure I am setting it up properly.

I shot on a Canon 450d 1920 x 1080 h.264 and Gropro 720 x 480 DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, Linear PCM, Timecode.

Is it best to set up my own sequence preset? I have done this already. I set up a preset for the canon footage, chose the frame size, chose the pixel aspect ratio as HD (1440x1080): For 1080i50 HD video, such as DVCPRO HD and HDV, set the Field Dominance as Upper (Odd), set the Editing Timebase (frame rate) as 24 fps and set the Timecode Rate as Same as Editing Timebase

For the QuickTime Video Settings I selected DVCPR0HD1080i50 as the compressor and set the percentage to 100%.

For the audio settings I left it at 48 kHz, 16 bit and default.

Are these settings correct?

Maybe I should just select a sequence preset from a list, if so, which one should I choose?

I am hoping to use this video to post up on a website.

Thank you!

Rachel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Am I setting up a project correctly?
on May 2, 2014 at 10:29:00 pm

Nope....you are doing everything wrong. :)

First off, ALL of the footage you shot needs to be converted to an editing codec. Neither camera shoots a format that FCP works with well...if you don't convert, you'll be rife with issues.

Convert to what? ProRes 422. ProRes 422 1920x1080 for the DSLR, and ProRes 422 SD for the GoPro. (Wait...GoPro shot in SD? Did you have a super high frame rate or something?)

HOW? Compressor, MPEG STREAMCLIP...

Then your sequence settings should be ProRes 422. To match the footage.

Now, you mentioned NOTHING about the frame rates of both footage types...please tell me it matches. If you shot a super high frame rate with the GoPro...there's a whole other workflow needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rachel Clark
on May 6, 2014 at 8:26:11 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I am now converting the HD footage shot on the canon using mpeg streamclip.

The Canon HD footage was shot at 25 fps and the Gopro SD footage was shot at 29.97 fps.

Is this going to cause problems?

You mentioned that I had set it up ALL wrong, can you tell me what else I have done wrong? Or what I need to do when I start again?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 6, 2014 at 9:12:35 pm

[Rachel Clark] "The Canon HD footage was shot at 25 fps and the Gopro SD footage was shot at 29.97 fps.

Is this going to cause problems?"

Yes. FCP doesn't mix frame rates well. Whatever frame rate doesn't match your sequence settings (guessing the GoPro) will skip and stutter. Always shoot the same frame rate.

[Rachel Clark] "You mentioned that I had set it up ALL wrong, can you tell me what else I have done wrong? Or what I need to do when I start again?"

I told you. Convert the footage to ProRes 422...1920x1080 for the HD stuff...and make a new sequence based on that. Simply dropping the footage into a new sequence will prompt FCP to ask if you want the footage to match the sequence. As for the frame rate issue...See if you can live with the look. If not...there are suggestions to fix that. But they take lots and lots of time.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rachel Clark
on May 6, 2014 at 10:16:38 pm
Last Edited By Rachel Clark on May 6, 2014 at 10:33:10 pm

ok, thanks. I will try using the 2 different types of clips and see what it looks like.

Shall I convert the Gopro footage in mpeg still as well?

Also, I should mention I'm using FCP 7, not 10.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rachel Clark
on May 7, 2014 at 10:35:36 pm

I converted some of the footage, both the SD and HD, in MPEG streamclip to pro res 422, the SD with 720 x 480 resolution and the HD at 1080 x 1920 resolution.

I then created a project using the same set up apart from this time changed it to pro res 422 in the sequence preset.

I exported it as a quicktime movie and the HD footage looked fine and the SD footage wasn't skipping or stuttering but it did look like it was ghosting.

When I am converting using mpeg streamclip should I try and change the frame rate?

I may try and just edit it all in SD, can you please tell me what sequence preset I would need to use for SD?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]