FORUMS: list search recent posts

shortcut issue FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sheree Day
shortcut issue FCP7
on May 2, 2014 at 7:25:35 am

Hi

I am using FCP7 with a regular keyboard at present and often use the arrows (up, down, left and right) for next frame, one frame back, next edit and previous edit, as well as the home arrow/button for going to the start of the timeline and the end button. This is all great. This is the keyboard I have at present http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/apple-final-cut-2185p.html

However, I will soon have a smaller FCP7 shortcut keyboard that does not have the numeric numbers at the side nor the arrows next to it. See http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/apple-final-cut-2202p.html
Not sure if I'll be getting the Jog Shuttle - any advice on the Jog Shuttle vs Contour Shuttle Pro V2 with this keyboard would be appreciated too as I never seen these before.

Now I went through the buttons list within FCP7 and found Option +7, and Option + 8 will move from previous edit to next edit, but I couldn't find what to use to move 1 frame fwd or back, or how to get from the start of my timeline to the end with shortcuts/buttons with a smaller keyboard.

I've gone through the thread list and can't seem to find an answer.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: shortcut issue FCP7
on May 2, 2014 at 1:51:30 pm

I really love my Logic keyboard: it definitely helps in learning the keystrokes. I don't have a jog/shuttle on ti, but thanks to the JKL keys, _+{}<> keys, I don't really miss it. JKL also works for slo-mo, with the addition of , I think it is shift key.

The inverted T's left and right keys on my keyboard control frame-by-frame for me.

You can always go to the Apple's keyboard mapping control panel and see what controls what - you can even customize those to suit your own needs.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 2, 2014 at 1:55:44 pm

Don't limit yourself to only FCP.
http://www.killerkeys.com/pro/

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 3, 2014 at 10:32:32 am

"However, I will soon have a smaller FCP7 shortcut keyboard that does not have the numeric numbers at the side nor the arrows next to it."

can i ask why?
it seems crazy to pay more (if you are going for that $155 package) for less options

i could not do without the number pad.

i've tried using jog/shuttle wheels with FCP, and not found them useful.

everyone has their own preferred way of working of course.
mine involves mapping the JKL keys to 456 on the number pad. (and mark in/out to 8/9)
with a LOT less strain on my wrist, that set of keyboard commands has kept me out of hospital.

nick

Return to posts index

Sheree Day
on May 4, 2014 at 12:48:12 am

Why change keyboards?...I've changed desks and my chair does not go high enough so the "keyboard rest section of the table" (whatever it's really called) which goes up and down...well, I need it slightly lower than the rest of the desk for ergonomic reasons and the mouse won't fit on it because the numeric pad is in the way and trying to use the mouse left-handed is not working....so I have to get a new keypad. It's not possible to swap the chair or desk...long story. At present the mouse is on a slightly higher level than the keyboard so I am getting some problems. The shorter keyboard and with a mouse or jog shuttle will rectify the problems as they will both fit on the "keyboard rest section of the desk".

I opened the tools menu and got the keyboard layout. I typed in "next frame" and "previous frame" but this does not show up for me to add a shortcut...can someone please guide me / instruct me how to make the arrows into shortcuts on the keyboard? I don't know anyone else who uses FCP7 so I appreciate all your help on these posts. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 4, 2014 at 1:00:28 am

On your top menus, go to TOOLS>BUTTON LIST

Don't change keyboards. There are thin skins you can get with the shortcuts printed on, just overlay on the existing keyboard... or you can also buy press-on key cap stickers that do the same thing but they don't last as long as the skins. The skins also keep the keys cleaner.

Return to posts index

Sheree Day
on May 4, 2014 at 1:14:15 am

Hi

I did go to Tools > Button list, but after that is where I typed "next frame" and "previous frame" to bring it up so I could assign a shortcut, but I didn't get anything show up so I couldn't create a shortcut. I also went under "GOTO" but couldn't find it there either. That's the part I need help with please.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 4, 2014 at 2:15:43 am

Did you try pressing Option-H?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 5, 2014 at 3:09:24 am

in the keyboard layout manager (option H)
if i hover over the arrows tool tips shows them named as Left, Right, Up & Down.

you can jump back to the button list if you want,
but did you know you can also assign buttons from the Keyboard layout window,
just by dragging them.

(you can also assign keyboard shortcuts in the button window just be selecting a command, and hitting the desired keys)

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]