FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having playback issues in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Stuart
Having playback issues in FCP7
on May 1, 2014 at 10:06:56 pm

I am in the final editing stages of a feature length doc and am experiencing playback issues with my sequence. When I hit play, the sequence will choke up here and there, the audio will continue to run but picture locks up.
I am on a macpro with 4GB ram and FCP7.0.1

Here's my current sequence settings:

XDCAM EX 1080p24

However I have footage shot in the following formats:

Apple Pro Res 422
Apple Pro Res 42(HQ)
XDCAM EX1080p 24
XDCAM EX 1080i60
DVCPRO HD 720p 60
DVCPRO HD 1080i 60

I know it's crazy, but that's the nature of docs these days!

Most of the footage was shot at 23:98 but there is some at 29:97 or 59:94. I have been editing everything in a 24 timeline.

I'm wondering if I change my sequence settings to Apple ProRez 422 and continue editing if that will fix the problem. Ultimately, I want to export a high rez QT at ProRes 422, so maybe this is a good option.

Anyone have any thoughts about why my sequence is choking?

Thanks, Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Having playback issues in FCP7
on May 2, 2014 at 12:39:04 am

For one, 4GB of RAM is very low. While FCP references 4GB, the OS needs some as well. 8-16GB is recommended.

And yes, a ProRes sequence will perform much better than an XDCam one. I-Frame footage in a GOP sequence, which is what you currently have, is a bad idea. It's more complex to desk with. Just chance the sequence Compressor to ProRes 422.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 2, 2014 at 12:40:35 am

As for the frame rate differences, you'll need to deal with those properly when you online, as FCP does a bad job of mixing frame rates.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jeremy Stuart
on May 2, 2014 at 12:51:26 am

Hi Shane, thanks for the info and advice. Yeah I know that 4gB is really low but my computer is also really old so for now I'm stuck with it.
I'll try changing the sequence to Pro Res and see what happens.

BTW, what do you recommend for converting the 29:97
Footage so that it plays better in the 24p sequence?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2014 at 1:11:05 am

You could do the frame rate conversion on the cheap and in small batches with Compressor.

You could pay $600 for Twixtor and get a better-looking frame rate conversion.

And if the project is an epic for the ages, you could have the conversion done at a post house in hardware like a Teranex. It'll look absolutely great, but it won't be nearly as cheap as Twixtor.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 2, 2014 at 2:59:05 am

[Jeremy Stuart] "BTW, what do you recommend for converting the 29:97
Footage so that it plays better in the 24p sequence?"

If it wasn't shot with pulldown removal, then no matter what you use it won't look perfect. Easier to convert 23.98 to 29.97 than the other way around. BUT, Compressor with all the Frame Controls turned to BEST will do it, Twixtor will do it, Premiere Pro will do it.

But you need to first media manage all the footage that needs the frame rate conversion first...separate them from the rest of the sequence, manage them into small chunks, only what's used in the sequence...convert...manually overcut. It's quite a process.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]