FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharing FCP Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elaine lake
Sharing FCP Project
on Apr 29, 2014 at 7:57:06 pm

I've been editing a project on my computer and need another editor to take over. Is there a way to send the FCP Project without giving them my external hard drive or having to burn multiple DVDs of the footage & project file? Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
Re: Sharing FCP Project
on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:02:21 pm

When I've come across this situation I generally send/receive the backup media hard-drive. Then they can copy over media from that to their hard-drive.

-------------------------
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super
-------------------------

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:05:17 pm

Project files are relatively compact. They are separate from the media files, just like an ipod playlist is very tiny, and only describes the play order of the mp-3 files in your ipod, it doesn't include the music.

Project files alone could fit on a DVD-R or a BluRay, or could go into a Drop box or similar type of FTP program, and be transferred by internet. Short ones might even fit as an email attachment. Proxy versions of the media files take up less space, but have to be replaced with the real media at the final rendering stage.

The media files are often more easy to send as a cloned hard drive mailed by overnight service. Once both parties have identical drives with the same media files, trading updated project files by internet of FTP is generally a piece of cake.

Return to posts index

elaine lake
on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:18:35 pm

Thank you so much!
Mark would I find the project files and compress them into a deliverable file via DropBox?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:30:51 pm

They still need the media. If they get the project file only, they'll see the bins and the sequence and all the clips, but everything will be offline. You need to copy all the media to another drive and send it to them. Sending the media via dropbox will be time consuming and drive consuming, to say the least. Not practical.

They need the project and media.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:52:19 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:59:51 pm

I'm saying it's not too hard to collect the project files and transfer them via Drop Box, any time you update the project . The Project files, as Scott says, are useless without the media, which you copy to a drive and physically ship overnight by FedEx or whatever. The other editor puts it all together at their end, and everything should re-connect. From that point, when the remote person makes changes, they only have to FTP you the updated project file, which you plug into your end, and you can see what the changes are.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]