FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro -- FCP 7 won't recognize MXF files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Nelson
New Mac Pro -- FCP 7 won't recognize MXF files
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:08:21 pm

Got a new mac pro and installed FCP 7 and have been editing without problems.

However, I shot yesterday on a canon C300 and went to Log and Transfer the footage. No dice. FCP can see the card but says there is no compatible format on it. ??

I was able to open the footage using Canon FX Utility and back it up. But still no way to convert it to ProRes LT as I normally do. So I mounted the drive on my old (much slower) mac pro and am using Log/Transfer there to create files to edit with, and then will plug that back into my new mac pro and import the files.

Any suggestion for how I can get FCP 7 in my new mac pro to recognize the MXF files as it does on my old mac pro? They are grayed out on the new mac pro and I get that error message. Is there some plugin I am missing and need to install on the new machine?

Am running 10.9.2 on the new mac pro, the old one runs 10.6.8.

Thanks for any suggestions. I saw I could purchase MXF Converter for mac which is a $25 program and claims it will convert the footage. But I used to just do that in FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: New Mac Pro -- FCP 7 won't recognize MXF files
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:34:18 pm

[Jeff Nelson] "Got a new mac pro and installed FCP 7 and have been editing without problems. "

First off...Mavericks and FCP 7 aren't 100% compatible.

[Jeff Nelson] "However, I shot yesterday on a canon C300 and went to Log and Transfer the footage. No dice. FCP can see the card but says there is no compatible format on it. ??"

Did you install the C300 Log and Transfer plugin? Not the XF Utility...but the log and transfer plugin.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:37:12 pm

Except I see Canon no longer makes that plugin available, as FCP 7 was discontinued 3 years ago. Why can't the be cool like automatic duck...keep things up and available? Sheesh.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Nelson
on Apr 29, 2014 at 6:16:18 pm

Dang. Thanks, Shane. I am seeing it for download on a sketchy website here: http://megaupl0ad.net/archive/canon%20eos%20log%20and%20transfer%20plugin But that's located in Turkey and doesn't have a great web reputation, so not going to try it. I guess I installed that plugin on my old machine sometime back which is why it works.

I can't even get mpeg streamclip to see the XMF files. They are grayed out when I try to open or import them into a batch.

Any other ideas of how I can transfer this footage from MXF to prores on my new machine?

I even opened the shots in Adobe Media Encoder CS6, but it crashes and gives me a memory error message (though I have 32 gigs of ram).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 29, 2014 at 7:09:44 pm

[Jeff Nelson] "I can't even get mpeg streamclip to see the XMF files. They are grayed out when I try to open or import them into a batch."

Because MPEG STREAMCLIP doesn't support the MXF format.

[Jeff Nelson] "Any other ideas of how I can transfer this footage from MXF to prores on my new machine? "

Premiere Pro will view these natively, as will Avid Media Composer. FCX will work with MXF...convert it to ProRes. And then there are third party apps like Calibrated MXF, and MXF2Mac that allow you to view and work with them natively.

I can't find my Canon XF Log and Transfer installer...or I'd share it. Still digging.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Nelson
on Apr 29, 2014 at 7:15:55 pm

Shane -- someone on another board gave me a link to an answer you gave previously at https://discussions.apple.com/message/16190382#16190382 I followed the link and downloaded and now I'm good to go!! So all is good. Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 29, 2014 at 7:18:09 pm

HA! I couldn't find the link, but I myself, on another thread...provided the working link. HAHAHAHA! Brilliant

Glad you got it workign.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Edwin Janzen
on Jan 19, 2015 at 8:09:09 pm

Hey Jeff,

The download link in the discussions.apple forum no longer works. What version of the FCP 7 Canon xf plugin did you download? Was it, xpfm-1-4-0-9-9l.dmg.gz

as shown available on canon's website: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/ci...

I'm also editing in FCP 7 on a new mavericks iMac and want to use the Log and Transfer tool to import C300 media.

Cheers,
Edwin

Return to posts index

Jeff Nelson
on Jan 19, 2015 at 8:37:27 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Nelson on Jan 19, 2015 at 8:43:20 pm

Looks like it was xpfm-2-1-1-8-9l

Do you want me to send to you?

Return to posts index

chris king
on May 12, 2014 at 8:04:02 am

If you try the log and transfer or the Canon XF plug, none worked. You can try a paid MXF converter to convert MXF to ProRes on Mavericks for using in your FCP 7. It saves time and effort. That’s way I put my MXF files to FCP 7. By the way, I’ve update my FCP 7 to FCP X, some issues still exist there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]