FORUMS: list search recent posts

Too much info out there with Alexa footage and FCP7 need a simple straight answer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Vincent
Too much info out there with Alexa footage and FCP7 need a simple straight answer
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:23:06 am

Hey Guys. Whenever I search for stuff that is Alexa with FCP7 a billion threads come up and it seems like every answer is different. So I turn to you. I have never worked with Alexa footage until now so I need some help here is the details:

Camera:
Arri Alexa Plus with Panavision Glass
Editing System: FCP7

Each Card has all the mov files plus a avid.ale file and a fcp.xml file.
The Media is all shot ProRes 444 1080p Log-C Color.

Now I don't really have any experience with log-c so i don't want to start cutting if I have to transcode first. I have done RED way in the past where you have to do your telecine before you cut.

So what I am asking specifically is this:
What is the best way to cut and color this footage? Does all the footage need to be telecined first before editing? Meaning do I have to bring in a colorist and do a telecine before I cut? Or does the edit retain the original Log-C color space that when it is sent to the color timer that he/she will have the most information (color space) to work with?

Sorry I know it is not a simple answer but I thought I would ask anyways

thanks for the help

J

ps here is additional info just in case from the meta data in fcp

Master Comment #1
SensorFps:23.976,ShutterAngle:180.0,MirrorShutter:0,WhiteBalance:3200,CcShift:0,ExposureIndexAsa:800,ColorGammaSxS:LOG-C

Master Comment #2
Camera:Alexa Plus 4:3,CamID:R10N,SerialNumber:1319,SupVersion:Alexa_9.0:25486,SxS-SerialNumber:1d00000000000105,Date:20140426,Time:00h47m41s

Comment A
ColorGammaSxS:LOG-C

Comment B
ExposureIndexAsa:800

40tb Xsan

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
Re: Too much info out there with Alexa footage and FCP7 need a simple straight answer
on Apr 29, 2014 at 2:52:35 pm
Last Edited By Daryl K Davis on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:00:28 pm

I have used this plug-in. pretty straightforward process.

Nick Shaw’s FCP 7 plugin for viewing ARRI ALEXA LogC as Rec.709 in the Final Cut Pro timeline, as well as batch processing dailies.

http://antlerpost.com/Plugins.html

I don't mean to plug this particular plug-in exclusively so I also believe there are other plug-ins out there for this purpose as well.

-------------------------
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super

Return to posts index

James Vincent
Re: Too much info out there with Alexa footage and FCP7 need a simple straight answer
on Apr 30, 2014 at 4:43:00 am

That is a cool plugin my biggest thing is if I cut the 444 prores in final cut does it loose the log-c color space when sent to the color timer. I remember seeing something saying that final cut pro brings the bit depth down. I just want to make sure I am not loosing any original information

40tb Xsan

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:18:11 pm
Last Edited By Daryl K Davis on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:58:30 pm

I'm not sure where you read that because original LogC media shouldn't be affected if you apply proper non-destructive workflow procedure. As well, I do know that LogC media isn't affected by media managing in FCP.

Anyways, I've work with this particular plugin in two different ways.

- Method 1 (for project shot entirely on Alexa) was to apply plugin (filter) and Batch Export footage from FCP to a more manageable lower data rate codec such as ProRes proxy and work with that while editing. When picture is locked send an XML for Resolve that colour-grading facility can re-link to original 4444 media (which you haven't touched).

- Method 2 (for quickie project that had some b-roll footage shot with Alexa) was to apply the Rec709 filter on media clips within FCP so you can monitor properly, and proceed to edit with LogC ProRes footage from camera . Note that I had to render these shots in timeline because I wasn't editing in 4444. After you create your XML for Resolve you can remove the filter from XML list using a program like removeFilter. The colour-grading facility can re-link to original 4444 media, again which really isn't affected by working in FCP.

There is a ARRI Alexa LogC to video FCP LUT plugin User Guide by Nick Shaw that outlines both workflows that comes with the plugin.
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]