FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laying in footage based on recording time

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arturo Glass
Laying in footage based on recording time
on Apr 28, 2014 at 9:42:50 pm

If I shoot a bunch of footage on a Sony FS700, Is there a simple way to lay all the footage into a timeline with it automatically spacing the shots out based on their actual time of recording? Basically I'm looking for an easy way to sync up a several hour long audio recording from one device with video clips recorded on the camera. But would rather only have to sync up one video clip with the audio track and have the rest in sync (without having to buy Plural Eyes).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Laying in footage based on recording time
on Apr 28, 2014 at 10:27:37 pm

Automatically syncing? In FCX, sure...I hear there's a function similar to PluralEyes in that. In FCP 7...no. That's what drove the sales of PluralEyes...because FCP didn't already to that automatically. If you don't have PluralEyes, or FCX...you'll have to do this manually.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Arturo Glass
on Apr 28, 2014 at 10:34:09 pm

But is there a way to have the video tracks laid out on a timeline based on their original recording time? That is, just the spacing of the footage? That in and of itself would help with the sound sync (even with Plural Eyes)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 28, 2014 at 11:12:35 pm

Automatically? No. That will have to be done manually. You'll have to modify a sequence timecode to match the clip timecode numbers, and then type in the number, mark IN...all that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 28, 2014 at 11:48:59 pm

[Shane Ross] "Automatically? No. That will have to be done manually. You'll have to modify a sequence timecode to match the clip timecode numbers, and then type in the number, mark IN...all that."

Maybe this could be done more quickly on an EDL in Excel, copying and pasting the source in and out times to the record in and out columns?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 29, 2014 at 12:32:09 pm

Avid can create a sequence with the footage layed out based on source timecode automatically.

Just a crazy thought....If you want to edit in FCP, maybe do it with the trial version of Avid, then use Automatic Duck (free) to get the sequence into FCP.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 29, 2014 at 1:58:05 pm

You can try this. Sort the bin with all of your footage by timecode in point, going from the first to the last clip. Highlight all of the clips (Cmd A)and drag the whole lot of clips directly to the timeline. That should put all the clips on the timeline in the order they were shot based on the timecode. Is this what you're looking to do?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Arturo Glass
on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:43:03 pm

Not really. That lines them up back to back on the timeline. What I'm looking for is an auto-spacing based on the actual recording time. If I shoot 30 seconds at the beginning of each hour, I'd like the clips to line up with the 59.5 minute spacing on the timeline when I drop them in.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on May 1, 2014 at 2:37:22 pm

What you want to do is very easily accomplished with SequenceLiner. I used to do this all the time before I moved to Avid, which has this capability built in (with the feature AutoSequence). But this tool does the trick with FCP7.

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/sequenceLiner/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]