FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with timeline editing/export with Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Golda Criddle
Problem with timeline editing/export with Final Cut Pro
on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:48:25 pm

I have mp4 files that Webex makes when I record screenshots from my computer. I am trying to make a tutorial video with these files using Final Cut Pro. When I play the video in the Viewer, it looks fine but when I edit it in the timeline and when I export it, the image quality is distorted. I tried converting the files to Apple ProRes 422 HQ, with the same results. Please help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problem with timeline editing/export with Final Cut Pro
on Apr 25, 2014 at 12:23:51 am

FCP is designed to work with broadcast formats...frame sizes and frame rates. So 720x480, 720x486 in standard def...1280x720 and 1920x1080 in high def. There are a couple anamorphic formats in there...and PAL SD has a different frame size, but I won't go into that. Computer screenshots don't match those dimensions, so they are troublesome to edit in FCP.

FCP is not the application to use for this. Best to use Adobe Premiere Pro if you are going to use your current screen capture software. Or, what I do, is use Screenflow to both record and edit my tutorials. It does it all. It will also, as a matter of fact, edit your current screen grab footage as well...no conversion.

it's all about the right tool for the right job. FCP is not the right tool for the task at hand.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:32:56 am

When you add the first clip to the timeline line does FCP ask you something like "Do you want your sequence settings to match your clip?" If it does, do you say yes?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:36:25 am

"Ray...if someone asks if you are a god you say YES!!"

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Golda Criddle
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:25:10 am

Re: Andrew No, FCP doesn't say anything like that...Playback is fine in the viewer but distorted on the timeline.

Re: Shane Unfortunately I doubt my company will want to pay for another program so I may have to edit with iMovie :(

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 25, 2014 at 4:11:51 am

The Viewer shows you what you have...shows your source. The Canvas shows you the footage with the sequence settings. The sequence settings don't match your clip settings, that's why it's distorted. And FCP doesn't work with non-standard frame sizes well.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 25, 2014 at 2:02:25 pm

Convert the mp4 files to pro res first, using compressor or the free mpeg streamclip program. Then make sure your timeline and sequence settings and footage are all set to the same codec: prores.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]