FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing MTS to Final Cut 7 problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria Linchong
Importing MTS to Final Cut 7 problem
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:15:43 am

Final Cut Pro 7 is not recognizing the MTS files on my SD card. I think I might have inadvertently moved the files around? or somehow the files got corrupted?

My SD card is currently plugged into the computer. When I open Log & Transfer, nothing appears. When I drag the Private folder from the SD card file into the Log & Transfer window, I get the message:

"Private contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure."

So looking in the directory structure in the SD card, I think the issue is that the file called CLIPINF starts at 00000.CPI and goes to 00322.CPI, while the file called PLAYLIST starts at 00000.MPL and goes to 00051.MPL, and the file called 000245.MTS and goes to 00322.MTS. Basically, I think the SD card is totally messed up. Am I right? Is there any way to fix this?

I've only been able to work around this by converting the files into Pro Res through Compressor, but this takes an hour for a 5 minute clip. Is there any other way to use the files in this card? Or am I doomed to spend the several days of my life converting files?

Also terribly annoying that Mavericks (at least I think it's Mavericks) now reads all the AVCHD files as one quicktime item and I keep having to unpackage them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas as to what to do about these files!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing MTS to Final Cut 7 problem
on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:17:48 pm

FCP 7 hasn't been updated for years...and was killed off 3 years ago. Any advancements made to AVCHD formats, it hasn't kept up with. Different camera makers make different flavors of AVCHD...and when a new camera comes out, they slightly change it again. With FCP no longer being updated, it isn't keeping up with the times. For example, it doesn't support 1080p60...which is a common format in many AVCHD cameras now.

That and FCP 7 on the Maverick's OS isn't fully 100% compatible either. Same reason...it was EOL 3 years ago, and the current OS isn't keeping it in consideration when it comes to compatiblity. You have two strikes against you.

The one app I have that is constantly being updated to deal with current AVCHD flavors is ClipWrap2 from divergentmedia.com. It can convert the files to ProRes...and it won't take an hour for a 5 min clip.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Megan Paznik
on Apr 25, 2014 at 10:54:22 pm

Shane, will the clips link together once mts is imported thru clipwrap? So I can use the clips, all linked up to match a second camera for a 2-camera shoot and edit through PluralEyes? Thanks
Megan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 25, 2014 at 11:40:11 pm

Sorry, but ClipWrap2 cannot join spanned clips. If a take was broken up into 4 parts, clipwrap will make 4 clips. BUT, PluralEyes will still work on them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Megan Paznik
on Apr 26, 2014 at 3:34:10 am

Hi Shane, Thanks. Clipwrap won't link clips taken in succession, without stopping the camera, and split by mts into 4G files even though I have not stopped the camera?
Thanks
Megan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]