FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple ProRes 422 (proxy) to regular 422 for Export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Fisher
Apple ProRes 422 (proxy) to regular 422 for Export
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:28:48 pm

Is it possible to edit from proxy files and then render only the edited media (in/out points) to ProRes 422 for the final export?

In other words, do I have to re-convert ALL of the original media to Apple ProRes 422 and do a re-connect after converting/editing everything in proxy at first?

If not I feel like this is a sorely lacking feature in NLE software. Forgive me if it's possible I just haven't seen an answer. Drive space is precious and if I don't need every frame of footage converted to ProRes I'd rather avoid it.

--
Dean Fisher

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple ProRes 422 (proxy) to regular 422 for Export
on Apr 22, 2014 at 4:24:29 pm

[Dean Fisher] "Is it possible to edit from proxy files and then render only the edited media (in/out points) to ProRes 422 for the final export?"

Yes...but that won't increase the quality. It'll now be ProRes Proxy, transcoded to ProRes 422. Just like taking a nice master tape, dubbing it to VHS, and then trying to use that VHS to output to a nice tape will still look like VHS.

[Dean Fisher] "In other words, do I have to re-convert ALL of the original media to Apple ProRes 422 and do a re-connect after converting/editing everything in proxy at first?"

It depends on how your made your Proxy files. If you used Log and Transfer, I have a workflow for that here:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

How did you make your proxy files?

[Dean Fisher] "If not I feel like this is a sorely lacking feature in NLE software. Forgive me if it's possible I just haven't seen an answer."

There are very specific workflows for successful offline and online. If you follow those, you are golden. If you didn't research and did things in a way that doesn't lend to a proper online, then you might be in a pickle. But, as I don't know how you did things, I cannot say how big of a pickle you are holding.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dean Fisher
on Apr 23, 2014 at 1:36:41 pm

Shane, I am not a fan of holding pickles. Especially the dills that come with a club sandwich.

I do realize that you can't get proper 422 out of 422 (proxy), I was meaning that the edited sequence could be used as a reference for the original media to be re-compressed to full 422 ONLY at the edited in/out points.

I see in your tutorial that this is entirely possible, so thank you for the workflow, although I'm working with DSLR footage (and it doesn't seem like you can do a log and transfer with that raw material?), so for future projects I was wondering if it was possible to do something similar. In your DSLR example, you still have the full 422 footage existing on the hard drive, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I'm thinking what I'll probably do is just delete the ProRes footage entirely when I archive a project. If I need to go back to it for some reason (never to rarely), I'll just run the footage through compressor again (with proper clip naming) and reconnect.

--
Dean Fisher

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:31:01 pm

[Dean Fisher] "although I'm working with DSLR footage (and it doesn't seem like you can do a log and transfer with that raw material?)"

If you didn't convert the footage to ProRes Proxy via Log and Transfer...then that workflow won't work. And you'll need to convert EVERYTHING to ProRes 422, and relink. Sorry, but that's what happens when you do the conversion outside of FCP. Many formats don't lend themselves to L&T.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Caleb Wheeler
on Dec 22, 2014 at 6:12:21 am

I am wanting to do the same thing with a Final Cut 7 project I've edited fully in Prores 422 Proxy. I used Compressor to treat my original DSLR H264 footage. After I convert all of this footage to Prores 422, what is the process for relinking the clips into my existing Final Cut project?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 22, 2014 at 5:17:59 pm

Well, you'll have to convert all of the footage used in the cut...the full clips. Convert all the clips used, make sure the names match the other media, your offline media, exactly. Then, take the low res media offline (have them on separate drives so you simply disconnect a drive)...duplicate your sequence and then reconnect the new sequence to the new media.

If you had done this through Log and Transfer, you could have had FCP only capture what was used in the cut, with handles. Meaning not full clips, but just the sections used...and all via Batch Capture.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Caleb Wheeler
on Dec 22, 2014 at 8:46:42 pm

So it's just a matter of tricking the sequence with identical clip names to swap the low-res for the high-res, ya?

Very helpful. I'll be using Log and Transfer instead of Compressor from now on.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 22, 2014 at 8:48:19 pm

Identical clip names, reel number, timecode. Since neither will have a reel number, the name, timecode, total duration will work. If you are off by even a frame...FCP won't relink.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]