I have to get the footage off my four external FW Glyph drives. The project is choking from bandwidth strangulation and crashing often. No problem linking the footage after I transfer everything to the RAID with the files that match the same footage name as each Glyph drive, it's just time consuming. It works, I can edit and see the footage fine and the files are re-linked. However it is still crashing FCP too often (once every half and hour instead of half a minute with the Glyphs) But with a project this big that is still too often and unworkable. It takes 15 minutes just to open the project and this zaps the creative workflow.
My solution is this: I've set up a new drive in my box which has a fresh copy of FCP Studio 3 and factory install of Snow Leopard, which is what is running the FCP now on my main system HD. I have tons of other programs and files on there which might conflict or suck up memory. I need to just edit without any variables from this to keep things clean and less crashable.
I also need to keep the original drives (proxy versions) exactly like they were delivered to me on the Glyphs (though some shoots are spread across three drives!) Or I am not going to be able to conform the offline edit picture lock through XML to the online masters. Just have to organize that through FCP itself which is harmless. Anyhow, things have re-linked as per the project FCP file exactly, a few glitches, but fixable. The key is to be sure that the files on the RAIDS are named the same as each of the Glyphs. The project should conform to the masters with XML since the masters with the Pro Res 422 (HQ) perfectly match the badly organized Glyphs which were delivered with 5.7 terabytes of proxy footage in XDCAM-e and ProRes Light Format.
Any additional thoughts and tips that might help would be welcomed! I realize it is always advisable to keep things the same when working on a project but I have no choice here. I am not updating the OS though, that's where it can go really wrong from what I understand.