FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV, ProRes, and jagged edges

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharif Shahwan
HDV, ProRes, and jagged edges
on Apr 21, 2014 at 11:54:14 am

Hello all, long time reader, first time poster. Hoping someone can shed some light on a little issue I can't get to the bottom of.

I'm cutting a 7 camera shoot for a concert we did recently. 5 x Canon XF305, 1 x Sony HC1 (Drummer cam) and 1 x Sony Z5 (I borrowed one for the least used locked-off position). I'm editing in FCP7

I'm off lining in SD for disk bandwidth reasons, so I have ProRes files in 1920x1080, 1440x1080 (HDV), and 1024x576. All original material was shot in 1080i50 .

The oddity comes with the HDV footage. I captured the first tape as one 60min file straight to ProRes which looked great, as did the subsequent SD transcode (done using compressor).

When I captured the second tape, FCP must have detected some timecode breaks as it created about 4 or 5 files, unfortunately with a couple of seconds missing between them while there was action I will probably need. Once again, what was there looked great.

So I captured to HDV native, opting to ignore any dropped frames. FCP created a single file as expected, and it looked fine so I continued my workflow, using compressor to create the SD version of the file. However, now the video looks horribly jagged and really jars with the rest of the footage. Upon second inspection, I notice that the original HDV native capture from tape 2 doesn't actually look as good as the ProRes capture from tape 1.

I'm going to capture tape 2 as ProRes again and hope the dropped frames aren't an issue but I don't understand what the problem could be. I believe I have all the right settings in compressor which is backed up by the fact that the SD conversion form tape 1 looks great. This also seems to suggest that capturing straight to ProRes is a better workflow than capturing to HDV then converting?

BTW, I'm doing all my viewing of these videos in QuickTime Player and VLC, not FCP.

Thanks in advance for any help and if it's of any use, here are my compressor settings:

Name: Apple ProRes 422 (LT) SD (1024x576)
Description: For HD interlaced to SD interlaced
File Extension: mov
Estimated size: unknown
Audio: multi-track passthrough
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 1024
Height: 576
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)