FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having to render ProRes4444 in timeline even when sequence settings match clip settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Street
Having to render ProRes4444 in timeline even when sequence settings match clip settings
on Apr 19, 2014 at 9:19:13 pm
Last Edited By Edwin Street on Apr 19, 2014 at 9:19:50 pm

This has been bugging me for years, usually I don't have the problem as I edit with ProRes422(HQ) but I need to use ProRes4444 at the moment and I can't seem to work out why I'm having to render each shot.

Here are some test results converting the same H.264 file to ProRes4444 in four different programs. YES/NO having to render the clip in a ProRes4444 timeline in FCP7 matching the clip settings.

Quicktime 7 – YES have to render
MPEG Streamclip – NO
Compressor 4.1 – NO
Compressor 3 – YES

All programs convert exactly the same file and settings. Here are screenshots of the file's specs using the different programs. Maybe you can tell me why I'm having to render the Quicktime7 and Compressor 3 files and not the others.

Quicktime 7 file:

MPEG Streamclip file:

Compressor 4.1 file:

Compressor 3 file:

As you can see the only difference with the Compressor 3 and Compressor 4.1 file is the Media/UUID Is that the only reason why I'm having to render the clip? What is Media/UUID?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Having to render ProRes4444 in timeline even when sequence settings match clip settings
on Apr 19, 2014 at 9:31:44 pm

Note that the chroma sampling on the first two is 4:2:2. The last two its 4:4:4. ProRes 444 should be 4:4:4

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Having to render ProRes4444 in timeline even when sequence settings match clip settings
on Apr 20, 2014 at 5:29:20 am

MPEG STREAMCLIP one also says the format is QUICKTIME, and all the others say MPEG 4 as format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edwin Street
on Apr 21, 2014 at 2:29:12 pm
Last Edited By Edwin Street on Apr 21, 2014 at 3:02:19 pm

Thanks for the help Shane, that explains a few things.

I don't know why Quicktime and MPEG Streamclip encoded 4:2:2 and a bitrate of 192Mbps/s, both times I selected ProRes4444.

Unless Quicktime reads the H.264 file bitrate first and decides that it doesn't need anything over 192Mbps, otherwise I don't know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]