Length of clip changes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Length of clip changes
on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:22:38 am
Last Edited By Bobby Hall on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:27:12 am

Hi,
I'm having trouble with a certain clip in FCP7. In the viewer I selected the last several seconds of a clip and dragged it on the timeline but it's not showing the part that I selected. It's showing the part that came before it. For some reason on the timeline it thinks that's the end of the clip. I tried re-connecting the media and also re-importing from Finder and the same problem happens.

What's also strange is that when I double click the selection in the timeline and it loads the clip in the viewer with the in and out points, it's not showing the rest of the clip that I can see when I open the clip by double clicking it in the browser. I thought maybe there was some glitch and it was acting like a subclip, but when I select the clip in the browser and click Modify, the option to "Remove Subclip Limits" is grayed out, so I don't think that's the problem. Restarting the program doesn't help either.

I also noticed something else. If I look at how long the clip is in the browser, it says it's shorter than when it's on the timeline. Does this mean that the clip is somehow slowing down and not showing the end when placed on the timeline?
Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Length of clip changes
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:41:12 pm

Sure: please supply us with the usual litany of information: the footage's media container, codec, frame rate, dimensions and your timeline settings in FCP.

So we can make intelligent suggestions, you see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Apr 19, 2014 at 12:35:20 am
Last Edited By Bobby Hall on Apr 19, 2014 at 12:52:49 am

I'm using two types of footage in a split-screen. One of them is .mov files, 1920x1080, Apple ProRes 422, and 29.97 fps.

The other is the same as the first except the dimensions are 536x536, and these are the files I'm having an issue with.

My timeline settings are 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9), pixel aspect ratio: square, field dominance: Upper (Odd), editing timebase, 29.97, Compressor: Apple ProRes 422, audio rate: 48 KHz, 16-bit, Channel Grouped.

It does seem like when the clip is dragged onto the timeline it's slightly slower than it's supposed to be. I loaded a clip from the browser into the viewer and clicked on a frame early on in the clip, and then I compared it by dragging the clip onto the timeline and when I load it from the timeline into the viewer, I noticed that the frame I looked at before happens a little later on. So it seems as if putting a clip on the timeline slows it down and I have no idea why.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Apr 19, 2014 at 1:24:29 am

I'm pretty sure I just figured it out. I looked at the item properties for all the 536x536 clips and some them have different frame rates. I have no idea why. Originally they were mp4 files that I converted to Apple ProRes .mov files with MPEG streamclip and almost all of them were 29.97 fps but now I realize some of them have lower frame rates.

So what should I do now? Should I take the original .mp4 files and convert them again to Apple ProRes .mov files and set the fps to 29.97? Or is there something else I can do?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 20, 2014 at 7:31:50 pm

I've found that ProRes can be unpredictable when using non-standard frame sizes. I would suggest converting the 536x536 clips into 1280x720p ProRes files and keeping the native frame rate. I don't remember the name of the setting, but there is a way 'pillar box' the file so the 536x536 video is surround by a black border that makes up the rest of the 1280x720 frame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]