FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 freezing during editing process

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Phillips
Final Cut Pro 7 freezing during editing process
on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:59:19 pm

Hey there,

I have recently started having issues with Final Cut Pro 7, which I have been using for years. Lately, it has started freezing up on me during the editing phase. It will hang up for several seconds with the spinning color wheel of doom, then skip ahead a bit and start playing again, sometimes with no audio. If I run it back, the audio will return, but it may or may not freeze up again in the same spots. The spots where it freezes will change when I restart my iMac.

Sometimes it works fine, other times it freezes repeatedly. I have not changed any settings or added any updates recently, and I have almost a terabyte of free space on my internal HD. It is a large project, but I've been doing large projects just like this one for over four years now, and I've never had this issue before.

I tried exporting the file to Quicktime, and I've noticed that the video pixelates every few seconds, at no particular interval and for no apparent reason, but otherwise plays fine. I'm not the most computer savvy person, so I'm wondering what I need to do next?

Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 freezing during editing process
on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:26:25 pm

Run disk repair Utility to check out the disk you use for scratch files. Trash your preference files/ zap your PRAM as well.

You're not using the boot drive as your scratch drive, are you? That's never recommended; always use a separate drive for the AV files.

I suspect something is corrupted in the system, but there's not enough data to know for sure. How do you feel about re-loading the OS and all your apps? That was a rhetorical question.

Return to posts index

Tony Phillips
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:28:49 pm

My disk utility says the HD is ok, and I'm using the same scratch disk I have for four years. I haven't changed any settings. I will say, the only program that seems to be problematic is FCP, though.

Not sure how to reload the OS, but I'm willing to try anything... Like I said, I'm not all that computer savvy...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 18, 2014 at 2:50:34 pm

Is the scratch drive a separate drive, and did you run disk utility on that as well?

Can you think of ANY changes made in software or hardware since the last time everything was working great? What about automatic updates?

I was wondering if it was your video in/out card or breakout box, but if all other apps display okay, I reason that the IO box is not the source of the trouble. Bad RAM might have this affect, but it would also make trouble in other apps.

Occam suggests to me that it is some corruption in FCP. I would offload and back-up everything I wanted to save that was important; the media and the project files - dig out the box of DVD's (including the online FCP-7 updates I pulled off the Apple web site and burned to disk), and do a re-install of just FCP7 by itself, then test it. If your problem is still not solved, then re-install the entire suite, and test again. Bring a magazine to read, as this can take a while. If THAT doesn't solve it, I think it has to be a hardware problem.

If you ever get to a spot where everything is working perfectly again, I'd suggest using carbon copy cloner to copy an image of the entire system at that point and save that to a dedicated external archival drive. In the future, if you need to ever repair the system again, you could just erase the boot drive and copy/pasted the disk image into place, restart, and be good to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]