FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Auto Assign Reel Name for Logging Files from DVD, Links, Client Drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris golio
FCP7 Auto Assign Reel Name for Logging Files from DVD, Links, Client Drives
on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:54:18 pm

Hello CC Community,

I am looking for a way to auto assign a Reel name in the Logging Tab of Item Properties in Final Cut Pro 7.

I work on hundreds of client reels with source files coming from DVDs, links, or client hard drives, flash drives and file transfer services.

I need to complete multiple projects per day so I handle my conversions of all incoming media in another program (currently using Roxio Toast). When I import converted files into FCP7, they don't contain reel names like they would when importing from a camera or tape deck.

When archiving a finished project in final cut, my only choice is to manually bring up item properties and paste the reel name into the Reel field of the Logging tab. When there are a large number of source files this can get very very tedious and time consuming.

I am thinking there has to be a way to auto assign the file name as the reel name. Can this be done in Log & Transfer without using FCP7 to do any conversions while importing.

*I am not editing my reels in Pro Res since they are all finished and posted as links and nothing is for broadcast. I am using either DV / DVCPRO NTSC or Apple Intermediate Codec.

Thanks for any help

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 Auto Assign Reel Name for Logging Files from DVD, Links, Client Drives
on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:17:09 pm

[chris golio] "I am thinking there has to be a way to auto assign the file name as the reel name. Can this be done in Log & Transfer without using FCP7 to do any conversions while importing."

Sorry...there isn't. This needs to be done manually to files converted the way you are. L&T adds them because it was designed to. Simple IMPORT doesn't do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

chris golio
on Apr 15, 2014 at 6:07:26 pm

Thanks Shane,

Is there a means of using L&T to do this when setting up a project while also avoiding using L&T to transcode to a different format. So basically just put in the reel names by importing files through L&T.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 15, 2014 at 6:08:25 pm

Sorry, L&T only works with tapeless camera formats...not individual QT files. It needs to have a tapeless card structure and metadata files.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]