FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV cable box out into FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Avi Lall
TV cable box out into FCP7
on Apr 12, 2014 at 7:15:03 pm

My cable TV box has a firewire out and also an HDMI out. To capture video to my FCP7, can I connect either of the ports directly to MacBook Pro (It has both ports). If yes, what should be the setting for Capture/Input? Device control of course will be Non-controllable Device. I have used an external D/A converter to capture in the past but it seems silly to to take analog out of cable box and then convert it to digital before inputting into FCP7.

Thanks folks.
Avi

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: TV cable box out into FCP7
on Apr 12, 2014 at 8:38:26 pm

The HDMI port on your computer is OUTPUT only...not input. So that is out. And I'm not sure that the firewire port on the cable box is for video...but rather for data. If it's for video, the only signals it could send would be DV/NTSC...but I doubt that'll be it.

And even if you got an external box that'll convert HDMI to Thunderbolt, like the Decklink Ultrastudio Mini Recorder, or AJA IoXT...that signal has DRM on it...it's encoded with copy protection. Your TV has a built in decoder, but the IO boxes on the market don't. Even if your computer had HDMI in...it wouldn't have the encoder. TV networks don't want you to be able to record their shows on anything other than a DVR.

I've tried...mainly to get the shows I worked on for my reel, in HD, as my companies always offer DVDs, but those are SD. And some companies won't give you copies of shows you worked on.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Avi Lall
on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:38:22 pm

Shane:

Most grateful for your detailed explanation. Now I understand why I couldn't get the signal out of the firewire port on the cable box. Wish I had learned this before I pulled out half of my hair. On the positive side, I still have the other half !! Thanks ever so much.

Best,
Avi

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:11:24 am

I was pulling out my hair when I couldn't get HDMI into my AJA IoXT...even though it worked with my camera, it didn't with my cable box. Research pointed out the DRM signal issue.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 13, 2014 at 3:27:38 am

Some cable boxes have analog component out, which is a pretty decent quality signal and does not have DRM problems.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 13, 2014 at 4:17:39 pm

I will admit, I go Analog Component out of the cable box into my KiPro with great results.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]