FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC DVD need to rip & re-edit in FCP... then re-deliver on PAL DVD - Best process?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Edwards
NTSC DVD need to rip & re-edit in FCP... then re-deliver on PAL DVD - Best process?
on Apr 9, 2014 at 4:03:16 pm

Hi guys,

A client from the US has sent me an NTSC DVD of rushes from a birthday party. The client wants me to rip the DVD, re-edit the material then deliver a PAL DVD to their family in the UK.

I've ripped the DVD using Handbrake - giving me a JVT/AVC coding format MP4 at 720 x 480 (853 x 480) at 25FPS ...which looks fine in QT... but I've tried dropping it into FCP and then exporting the timeline as an editable format like ProRes or DV-PAL but it just doesn't look as good as the original file.

Anyone have any ideas of the best way to go about this or where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: NTSC DVD need to rip & re-edit in FCP... then re-deliver on PAL DVD - Best process?
on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:12:18 pm

Hi Ashley,

You can't edit MP4 files in FCP. You need to convert them to ProRes before you edit. Try using mpeg streamclip to convert the files into an editable file.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: NTSC DVD need to rip & re-edit in FCP... then re-deliver on PAL DVD - Best process?
on Apr 9, 2014 at 6:43:17 pm

Aren't PAL DVDs at a resolution of 720x576?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:18:29 pm

You'll want to convert in two stages. Trying to do this in one conversion will often cause problems. Rip the DVD and convert to apple pro res 422 using MPEG Streamclip (free). Keep it PAL for now (25 fps/720x576).

Convert this file to NTSC pro res in Compressor. Turn Frame Controls on. Set resize and rate conversion to Better (or Best).

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 11, 2014 at 10:04:35 pm

John, I believe his DVD is NTSC to start with, not PAL, so he doesn't need two stages to start with. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]