FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crazy FCP/Soundtrack Pro Audio behavior after memory upgrade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Damkoehler
Crazy FCP/Soundtrack Pro Audio behavior after memory upgrade
on Apr 7, 2014 at 4:06:25 pm

Hey all - I have searched and searched and can't seem to find anyone who has experienced this. Before I say anything let me say this. I HAVE:

- trashed every preference known to man through the digital rebellion app
- cleaned out every cache
- purged ALL of renders
- unlinked/relinked my media
- tried media on different drives
- I have reset my PRAM (at least five times
- I have done an SMS reset on multiple occasions
- I have run disk utility on every drive, even if it doesn't even make sense to do so
- I have, short of reinstalling the (yes, old and discontinued final version of the) FCP suite done everything I can think of.

So, that said, here's what is going on:

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro (4,1) - 8 core at 2.66 with Mavericks on it. I have a GEForce GTX 680 graphics card - Blackmagic Decklink Mini - and an OWC Mercury Accelsior card running my system drive on the PCI slots. I have two internal OWC solid state drives raided together as my media drive. I have other ancillary drives that do not have media/caches/etc. that is being accessed at the time of use.

I was running on 16 GB of RAM and was desperate to eek out any performance gains that I could and so I upgraded to 48 GB of OWC RAM (leaving slots 4 and 8 open as the mac seemed to not like my old 2 GB sticks in those slots.)

Since upgrading my system seems slower - almost in eery sense possible. The real kicker and the main question here is that I have all of a sudden developed a persistent audio playback glitch in both FCP and Soundtrack. This glitch does NOT show up in and of the Adobe Creative Cloud apps, nor does it in general quicktime playback, etc. ALL of these use my deckling for output so I do not believe it is a sudden deckling problem.

Here is what happens:

I'll playback a sequence and it will play for about two seconds and then the audio will simultaneously play the frames the playhead is crossing AND jump ahead and play the audio that is 60 frames or so AHEAD of that point in the clip. It does that for about a second and then the audio jump completely goes silent as the video continues to play. I pause and hit play and the exact same thing happens.

When I roundtrip to STP I get the same odd behavior there as well.

All of the audio is fine - the playback is why is intermittent.

This is driving me insane.

SO - besides jumping to Premiere or Avid, or even FCPX - has anyone any more input or suggestions on this?

Thanks to all.

Oh - and on a side note, bluetooth no longer works since my memory upgrade - grand.

Hans
hans@hd-editor.com

Hans Damkoehler
VideoBloom, Inc.
Senior Video Editor/Producer

Web: hd-editor.com
Twitter: hd_editor
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/hdeditor

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
Re: Crazy FCP/Soundtrack Pro Audio behavior after memory upgrade
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:28:03 pm

If you view your specs in About This Mac does it correctly list it as 48 GB? If you take it out and put the old modules in does the problem go away?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 9, 2014 at 1:11:06 pm

I'm going to guess bad RAM, or Quicktime is somehow messed-up... or that Mavericks just doesn't like something.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 9, 2014 at 1:25:15 pm

Also double check that the RAM cards are in the correct slots. I'm trying to remember, but I believe that some of the earlier MacPro machines had a different setup as far as which RAM card went which bank in the computer. I upgraded my old machine some years ago and had just this problem.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]