FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp7+stills ="error out of memory"- on i7 imac/12gb/w/1024mb graphics card? - no way!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Katz
fcp7+stills ="error out of memory"- on i7 imac/12gb/w/1024mb graphics card? - no way!
on Apr 7, 2014 at 1:54:14 am

i am working on an 27" i7 imac/2.93 w/12gb ram/1024mb ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card

i'm using fcp7

in fcp, under system setting, memory/cache-my still cache is set to 100%

i'm cutting an opening.

i have 150 still images.

some the client provided.

some i shot.

some of the images are large-5mb

i opened a pro res lt 1920x1080/24p timeline.

i dropped all the images onto the time line.

each still image dropped in at 10sec.

i then changed all the images to 12fps.

i rendered and all went well.

i went to order the images.

i rendered and i suddenly got an "error: out of memory"!

how is that possible?

if the stills are too large, how small do i need to go?

and this opening will be projected on a 40' screen at a hotel in may.

i made a very similar opening on last years project that had 180+ images and cut on a 2010 17" mbp and never had an issue.

very frustrating.

what am i not doing right?

any and all thoughts appreciated.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
Re: fcp7+stills ="error out of memory"- on i7 imac/12gb/w/1024mb graphics card? - no way!
on Apr 7, 2014 at 5:07:36 am

Still images in an FCP timeline must be less than 4,000 pixels in any dimension, if they're larger than that FCP stalls and triggers the out of memory error. Also ensure they're RGB and not CMYK (for print). Run the stills through Photoshop or other image processing software to resize if they're too large and also to check file type.

When you say the images are large, 5MB, that's not usually an issue as the file size relates to the type of image format or the compression setting, it's the pixel dimensions that are critical in FCP. I usually set still images to 3990 pixels as maximum on the longest dimension (lock the constrain proportions when resizing), and in my experience the PNG file type seems to be the optimum for FCP 7.

Hamdani

Independent producer, director, cinematographer, writer, editor
Milas Film Productions, Hong Kong
http://www.milasfilm.com
Mac Pro 3,1, NVidia Geforce GTX285, 16GB RAM, 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD system drive, OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8, Caldigit VR 4TB e-SATA RAID, FCP 7.0.3, CS6 Production Premium Suite

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]