FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Why is FCP7 Log/Transfer cropping video?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Why is FCP7 Log/Transfer cropping video?
on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:18:24 pm

[Ted Coakley] "What FCP is doing in my case is converting my 720pN24 .MXF files/DVCPro HD footage to 960x720 .MOV files"

FCP doesn't convert...it re-wraps. It is a direct copy, only the container is changed from MXF to MOV. The footage was shot 960x720...and the QT file is 960x720. DVCPRO HD is an anamorphic format. FCP will SCALE it to fit a 16:9 window...1280x720. Unsqueeze it if you will.

How much is being cropped? Are we talking a small fraction...or a HUGE chunk? Camera Viewfinders are set to OVERSCAN...so you can see all of the image. And several broadcast monitors have this option too, so you can see all the way to the edge. I'm wondering if FCP's and QTs interface crops a little of those edges. Since I rarely shoot the stuff I edit, I never notice.

There are several solutions for viewing MXF files natively in QT, and QUickview and FCP. You can see if they offer free demos, and then install and look at the raw files to see if they match what you saw in the camera.

Know that TVs and Computer displays will crop that edge anyway...and you cannot plan to have the full image seen. This is why there are ACTION SAFE and TITLE SAFE zones.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]