FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ for the 1DC?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Sampson
ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ for the 1DC?
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:36:16 pm

I know that this topic has been very hotly discussed, but I can not find any reliable information and tests on how to transcode 4K C-Log footage from the Canon EOS 1DC. Does anyone know if there will be any gain in using the ProRes 422 HQ instead of the regular ProRes 422? The camera shoots 8 bit, but the 4K footage is really very high quality. Any real insights into this will be very appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ for the 1DC?
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:17:10 pm

ProRes HQ is really designed for source footage that is already 10-bit, like RED or ALEXA. You will so no quality difference if you encode the footage from that camera as ProRes 422, or HQ. The only difference will be larger file sizes...and perceived of higher quality by the client (they will be more comfortable knowing it's in HQ).

Do a test for yourself...encode a shot both ways, and look at the difference. Heck, even layer them on the timeline and use a COMPOSITE MODE>DIFFERENCE to show what the differences in the shots are. You'll see completely black (if there was a difference, you'll see scraps of images where it's different).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

George Sampson
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:30:37 pm

I see a black screen...
I think that you just saved me some disk space. Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:58:41 pm

You can always export a ProRes HQ file, or set your sequence to render to ProRes HQ...so that the client will feel more at ease. I tend to deliver HQ files.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Levangie
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:09:06 pm

The dymanic range of your Log footage will take advantage of the 10 bit 422 gamma of the HQ, definitely not totally necessary, depends on output resolution and how much colour grading you'll be doing. I would always go with HQ on any footage that has a LUT compression, unless it's offline media.

Return to posts index

Tim de la Torre
on Jul 13, 2014 at 1:12:32 am

Standard ProRes 422 is also 10 bit. So why would the dynamic range of log footage be any more advantageous in HQ mode? Both ProRes 422 and ProRes 422(HQ) are the same thing except for data rate. My understanding of that is with the HQ, there is just less chance of multi-generational quality loss. Please explain if I'm wrong, I always love to learn new things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]