FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro buying questions...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lynch
Mac Pro buying questions...
on Apr 2, 2014 at 4:10:48 pm

Been a while since I’ve been on the forum – went through some job changes, but now back into video editing where I belong!

Currently using a MacPro 1,1 4 core, 2.6 GHz; 8GB RAM obviously we want to upgrade.

So – we are looking at a 2012 Mac Pro tower; 12 core; 2.4GHz, 12GB RAM with Mountain Lion OR
a current Mac Pro with similar specs (possibly 6 core) – but Mavericks is the only OS option, and we have questions about expansion of the machine in the future.

Background: organization is using FCP7 and there are a lot of archived projects in that format which occasionally need minor changes. Thus it would be preferable to have machine that can continue to run FCP7 and I’ve read conflicting reports as to whether 7 will run on Mavericks and thus the new Mac Pro. Also, I personally have no experience with FCPX and limited experience with Premiere. Willing to learn, but at this point I am where I am.

Comments would be appreciated. I have another question about software, but will start a new thread.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------Michael Lynch |Electronic Media Producer
Washington State University College of Nursing

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Mac Pro buying questions...
on Apr 2, 2014 at 4:38:40 pm

You and all FCP 7 users can continue to limp along for a while, but inevitably you and all others will hit the wall, and you'll have stop using FCP as a crutch.

I would advise you to move to Adobe CC immediately and become skilled in updating your older legacy projects in Premiere, which has been designed to make the transition easy.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Mac Pro buying questions...
on Apr 2, 2014 at 5:10:27 pm

[David]
You and all FCP 7 users can continue to limp along for a while, but inevitably you and all others will hit the wall, and you'll have stop using FCP as a crutch.

I agree with David. FCP 7 is such a time suck. Premiere Pro and Avid can work with RAW files so you don't have to log and transfer. Premiere you can key the RAW footage and put a background behind the keyed footage and you still don't need to render. I haven't rendered a project in Premiere in probably 6 months. It will also tell you how many time a clip is in your timeline which is extremely helpful especially when the project is getting worked on by different editors. I switched to Premiere and I haven't regretted it for one second.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]