FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to convert canon xa20 mp4 audio from stereo to mono

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parisa Rezvani
how to convert canon xa20 mp4 audio from stereo to mono
on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:35:22 pm

Hi all,

I have a few questions about audio settings for both a Canon XA20 and for FCP 7. I shot some footage on a Canon XA20 recording as mp4 using two different mics that each went to their own channel: mic 1 recorded on channel 1 and mic 2 recorded on channel 2. But for some reason, when I bring it into FCP 7, it's showing them as stereo. Am I doing something wrong when I'm bringing them into FCP 7? Or did I accidentally record stereo? And if I did record stereo, is there a way to unmarry the 2 tracks? And lastly, if I did record stereo, does anyone know how to change the settings in the camera to record to separate mono tracks?

Thanks so much for reading my post and for any help in the future! I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Parisa

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: how to convert canon xa20 mp4 audio from stereo to mono
on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:56:09 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:18:14 pm

Just pan the two audio tracks to Center. And don't cut mp4 video in legacy FCP. And how are you getting your video into FCP in the first place? It would help to know the process you use.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Parisa Rezvani
on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:35:43 pm

Thanks for your response. What I want to be able to do is manipulate each track of audio, but right now mic 1 and mic 2 are married together and are appearing as stereo.

To answer your question, I doing something very rudimentary. I'm dragging and dropping the mp4 clips. Should I convert the clips to ProRes 422 and edit using that format?

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:55:44 pm

You most certainly should transcode the clips the ProRes 422 before editing in FCP. MP4 may work for now, but you will live to regret your failure to transcode.

I don't have FCP opin in front of me, but you can use the unlink clips command, and I'm pretty sure there's a way to turn off the Stereo Pair as well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Parisa Rezvani
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:25:12 pm

Good to know. Unfortunately, unlinking in FCP doesn't unmarry the audio, since it's showing as stereo.But I think I figured out the setting in Compressor that will convert it to Pro Res, as well as split the audio tracks.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:35:29 pm

What you need to do is select your audio track, then go to the "Modify" menu, then uncheck "stereo pair". Then you can work with each of your audio tracks individually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]