FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deciphering Time Stamp Metadata on DV ingests

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kurzweil
Deciphering Time Stamp Metadata on DV ingests
on Apr 1, 2014 at 2:51:21 am

I'm ingesting a bunch of old DV tapes via FCPX and a Sony HDV deck.

I'm using the "create archive option" which creates a "package" in the finder in which it deposits video clips named using what I am assuming is the clip's timestamp metadata.

For instance one clip is named thusly:

2001-10-04 19_05_00

Which I'm interpreting to mean that the file was created October 4th, 2001 at 7:05pm.

I love this, because it means that I can reliably place this clip in a timeline of a thousand other clips and have a good idea of it's context for editing.

That said, I have another bunch of clips from a single tape that for some reason don't conform to this naming convention. So for instance this ingest includes clips named like this:

2147483647-11-06 06_00_00-124

I'm guessing that this clip was created November 6, at 6am (i.e. the "11-06 06_00_00" portion), but I have no idea what the "2147483647" represents. The last bit "124" may be a frame start number, but that's less important to me than knowing the year. I'm tracking this stuff in a spreadsheet as I ingest and would really like to be able to guess the year if possible. I'm hoping that the "2147483647" is some whacked way of representing the year...

Any insight would be of enormous help.

Thanks,

Sean

Return to posts index

Sean Kurzweil
Re: Deciphering Time Stamp Metadata on DV ingests
on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:06:49 pm

Anyone?

The number 2147483647 consistently appears in all clips that do not seem to include a year in the timestamp.

Fascinatingly this number is one of only "four known double Mersenne primes" -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2147483647

Further down in the wiki under "computing" it notes:

"The number 2,147,483,647 is also the maximum value for a 32-bit signed integer in computing. It is therefore the maximum value for variables declared as int in many programming languages running on popular computers, and the maximum possible score, money etc. for many video games. The appearance of the number often reflects an error, overflow condition, or missing value.[8]"

... which probably answers my question. Although I'm not entirely sure why this would be the case if I'm running a 64bit kernel with Mavericks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]