FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 1080i60 footage into a 1080p 23.98fps 1 codec H.264 HD quality Quicktime .MOV file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Davis
Converting 1080i60 footage into a 1080p 23.98fps 1 codec H.264 HD quality Quicktime .MOV file
on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:08:20 am

I'm trying to create the above for a one hour movie I shot and edited in DVCPro HD 1080i60 on FCP6.

One film festival I'm entering requests the movie in the above file format on a separate disc from the actual DVD screener version of the film I'll be sending in as part of my entry.

I tried Quicktime Conversion out of the FCP6 timeline and got a 12 gigabyte file that plays well on my computer. When I tried customizing a Compressor setting to get the file down to a size that would fit on a disc I wasn't happy with the quality of any of my compression tests.

Any suggestions on how to create this file in a size that fits on a disc will be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Converting 1080i60 footage into a 1080p 23.98fps 1 codec H.264 HD quality Quicktime .MOV file
on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:44:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:39:13 pm

Well, let's start at the beginning.

You say the original footage is 1080i 60. Did you actually shoot interlaced 29.97 (which is the "i 60" part of the designation), or did you shoot at 24p?

It makes a big difference, and it also has a lot of implications for what you do next.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
Re: Converting 1080i60 footage into a 1080p 23.98fps 1 codec H.264 HD quality Quicktime .MOV file
on Apr 1, 2014 at 8:49:40 pm

Thanks for the response - I actually shot interlaced 29.97.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2014 at 9:36:50 pm

Ah! The task becomes more straightforward... but there are tradeoffs.

The absolute best way is to take a ProRes 422 file of the program to a post house for a frame rate conversion via hardware to 23.976, aka 23.98. You get pristine image quality plus a film frame rate. While they're at it, they could transcode to H.264. That's the expensive way.

The next-least expensive way is to use a plugin like Twixtor to do the frame rate conversion. I think Twixtor runs about $600. The image quality isn't as good as it would be through hardware, though.

The cheapest way to do it is using Compressor, an application you already have. It too can do a frame rate conversion to 23.976, but the image quality won't be a good as it would with Twixtor. Compressor will take a long time to do it, too.

Now, it's not like Comporessor will turn out absolute garbage. It won't. But if you were to look at the hardware conversion and the Compressor conversion side-by-side, you could see a difference.

I guess it comes down to what's in the budget.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on Apr 2, 2014 at 2:12:34 am

Thanks for stepping out the process and the costs! This file is being requested by a film festival in additional to the playable DVD screener of the movie.

SInce it's only for entering the competition (the film hasn't been selected), I think Compressor makes the most sense.

I'll probably also contact the festival to try and get some more info about the intended end use of this H264 file version, since I doubt I'm the only person who didn't shoot their project in a readily compatible format.

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 2, 2014 at 3:29:05 pm

A DVD? Heck, you could make one of those right know from your existing project with DVD Studio Pro. DVDSP will make 16x9 DVDs. All DVD's are SD and not HD.

I hearily agree with asking about the purpose of the H.264 file.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]