FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality problems with quicktime converstion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Stevantoni
Quality problems with quicktime converstion
on Mar 30, 2014 at 4:30:26 pm

I have a ten minute short that I am trying to export for the internet, specifically Vimeo. Right now I am exporting it using Quicktime conversion and restricting the data rate to 5000.

When it is exported it looks in one scene specifically a little strange. The colours in the smoke look like they are separated into chunks of their own colour.

On the left is the normal Quicktime and on the right is the conversion. Enlarge the picture to really see it. Maybe I am being too picky but it just doesn't look as fluid, especially when it plays.

I have also tried not restricting the data rate and it makes no difference. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can make this look better.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Stevantoni
Re: Quality problems with quicktime converstion
on Mar 30, 2014 at 5:41:27 pm

Is there another way or tool I can use to get the size small enough for Vimeo without loosing quality.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Mar 31, 2014 at 12:02:51 am

Try this.

http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Return to posts index

Michael Stevantoni
on Mar 31, 2014 at 12:46:03 pm

Thanks for your response. I tried using a data rate of 20000 as recommended but it is still there. It really looks horrible when it plays. Again the full sized .mov looks fine so is there another program I can use to compress it?

Return to posts index

Michael Stevantoni
on Mar 31, 2014 at 12:56:04 pm

The whole film looks great except for the after effects smoke added to that one scene. Even the real actors/ chair look fine in that scene. It is just the smoke.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Mar 31, 2014 at 3:37:55 pm

Hello Michael, on the link I posted you will see on the right hand side icons for the various applications which contain video tutorials, click on the Compressor 4 icon. Personally I export from FCP a self contained QT without conversion and then do all my compression - conversion within Compressor. The tutorial for Compressor 4 is good, all the numbers for Compressor 3 are exactly the same so try that. Large areas of graduated tone are always difficult particularly with crossfades so if you don't get what you want from Compressor then Sorenson Squeeze would be a good choice as it allows a greater level of tweaking. Take a look at the tutorial on the Vimeo link.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:23:21 pm

Wispy, low-contrast, slowly-shifting things like smoke ALWAYS suffer under lots of compression.... and even though it's better than YouTube, Vimeo stuff requires lots of compression.

Be glad you don't have a gentle gradient from one color to another across the screen: the banding would drive you nuts.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]