FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color correction

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Wilcox
Color correction
on Mar 29, 2014 at 1:09:26 am

I shot a man and woman playing musical instruments together and all looked well. I used a Sony EX1 at HD1080/60i. When I brought the raw footage into FCP, the man showed a heavy 5 o'clock shadow which he didn't have before. He looks really different. The woman is quite light. Is there any way I can alter their skin tones to mitigate this change?

Susan
Full Duck

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Color correction
on Mar 31, 2014 at 7:50:01 pm

You don't specify if you're watching this on actual broadcast monitors, of just the FCP computer interface or the camera's built in LCD screen. All three of those will give a different appearance to the footage, but only the broadcast monitor, assuming it is calibrated, is going to really show you what things look like.

If you have a broadcast monitor for reference, then there are a number of ways to treat you problem of the man bing too dark and the woman too light.

The three-way color corrector can let you adjust the mid-tones, and that may be all you really need. Use the vector scopes and waveform monitor windows while you make these adjustments, to stay within spec.

To adjust only the man, you could add a mostly opaque spotlight layer to him, you could create a soy edged mask and color correct only within the masked area... there are a lot of ways to go.

If you would use the tools in this interface to post some stills from the problem scene, you might get more targeted suggestions and advice.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 1, 2014 at 1:12:12 am

Facelight!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:47:25 am

I'll give Facelight a look! Thanks, Susan

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:31:42 pm

I'll give Facelight a look! Thanks, Susan

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:44:40 am

I don't have a broadcast monitor any more as I downsized my office and am doing only web and YouTube productions. Maybe that was a mistake, but I don't have room for the monitor anyway. I am looking at the video in FCP. I tried the three-way color corrector and it didn't affect the facial tones at all (as far as I could tell). Thanks for your idea about the spotlight layer ("you could add a mostly opaque spotlight layer to him, you could create a soy edged mask and color correct only within the masked area"). I didn't know I could add a picture. Here is the link to YouTube:

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:01:21 am

If it's his beard growth you want to fix, a skin tone filter like one from Sheffield might be a better bet than adding lighting.

http://www.sheffieldsoftworks.com/beauty/mua/index.html

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:57:06 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the skin tone suggestions of Facelight and Shefflieldsoftworks!

Susan
Full Duck

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]