FORUMS: list search recent posts

do people often confuse LtRt as a simple mixdown and not matrix stereo?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Adams
do people often confuse LtRt as a simple mixdown and not matrix stereo?
on Mar 28, 2014 at 3:30:31 pm

I've been working on a project where everybody keeps specifying that audio channels 1&2 be LtRt... however none of my source material has any sort of Dolby encoding (mono interviews and fx, stereo music tracks). How is anything like this actually encoded into a stereo matrix? Or are they simply refering to a full stereo mix on CH 1&2? Both the client and studio have made this reference now, and in fear of sounding stupid I did not immediately question the use of the terms. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: do people often confuse LtRt as a simple mixdown and not matrix stereo?
on Mar 28, 2014 at 3:39:18 pm

Pan the channels to the appropriate sides.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:00:56 pm

[Eddie Adams] "Or are they simply referring to a full stereo mix on CH 1&2?"

That's what they are meaning. Stereo mix on 1 and 2. Ch1 LEFT, Ch2 RIGHT.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:06:25 pm

What is the deal with the stereo matrix then? When I receive a set of LtRt tracks from the audio house - are those actually matrix encoded or a simple stereo mixdown? Is stereo matrix encoding still being used?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 31, 2014 at 2:23:27 am

Lt,Rt is a specific definition of a Dolby surround matrix encoding from four channels to two.

I have been mixing for years monitoring the mix in Dolby surround decode. Even without encoding it is possible to create a mix that is fully compatible with the Dolby Surround decode matrix so I always describe my stereo mixes are Dolby Surround compatible.

Many deliverable specs for film festivals or broadcast ask that such compatibility be described as Lt,Rt. Not entirely true but importantly it means that the playback will be as monitored via Dolby Surround decode. My 5.1 mixes are folded down to stereo and these I also describe as Lt,Rt - again to indicate compatibility, not necessarily using a Dolby encode process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]