FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes .mov do not play in Quicktime or other players without source clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephan Larose
ProRes .mov do not play in Quicktime or other players without source clips
on Mar 20, 2014 at 7:03:28 am

The HD ProRes 422 .mov files I export from FCP 7 will not play in any type of player. Quicktime simply crashes and when I open it with Mpeg streamclip I get the following message: The movie file "blablabla.mov" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly. By "blablabla.mov" I just mean any one of the source clips I used in the FCP timeline to make this video.

Mpeg Streamclip seems to be telling me that I cannot play a .mov file outputted from FCP without the source clips I used to make the video, which I no longer have. To me, this is insanity, I cannot send the video outputted from FCP to any clients, they receive a video with no picture, sound only when played in VLC or other players.

However, the file size of the video is still the same. My info window still tells me its a 1080p ProRes format .mov movie, so all the data for the movie seems to be there. Is there any way to reformat my videos without having to go back into Final Cut Pro and building the video from scratch after I ask the client for the source files again?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ProRes .mov do not play in Quicktime or other players without source clips
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:27:41 pm

Sounds like you exported a Quicktime REFERENCE movie, and not SELF CONTAINED. A Reference Movie is smaller, and just a file that points to all the existing media on your media drive...in the cut. If you try to play that without the media present...it won't work.

Export SELF CONTAINED.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stephan Larose
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:50:03 pm

I agree, that's exactly what it sounds I've got on my hands is a reference video. But I used Pro Maintenance Tools media salvage tools and it was able to recover footage, albeit it was unusable. If it's a true reference video then it wouldn't be possible to recover any footage wouldn't it? But footage was recovered, although out of order and sound screwed up... very bizarre.

I don't recall ever un-checking the "make video self-contained" box, and when I re-opened the project (with all de-linked files) the export settings were set to "make video self-contained."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 20, 2014 at 5:23:22 pm

[Stephan Larose] " If it's a true reference video then it wouldn't be possible to recover any footage wouldn't it?"

No...because the reference movie contains NONE of that footage...only render files, if rendering was needed before you exported. The footage it references is what you used to edit. THAT media is what you need.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]