multiple frame rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Carey
multiple frame rates
on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:17:45 pm
Last Edited By David Carey on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:18:25 pm

Hello
I am exporting edited scenes for a movie I am finishing and putting them into a master sequence. I have footage that is 24fps and 30fps. Some scenes combine the two frame rates and some are either one or the other. What would be my best workflow to make sure the final sequence is going to look the best (not jittery)? Should I export them all (the finished scenes) and have Compressor make them all into 24fps and use a final sequence setting of 24fps or is there a better way to do this?
I should mention also that I am working in FCP 7

thanks for any help you can offer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: multiple frame rates
on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:25:58 pm

FCP doesn't mix frame rates well...not well at all. You will have to convert the "off frame rate" to the one you want...and outside of FCP.

First off...pick your MAIN frame rate. What do you want to export as? Final output frame rate.

Then...separate all the footage that isn't the same frame rate.

Media Manage COPY it to another location...with handles...so you have only the clips used in the sequence.

Use COMPRESSOR to convert that footage to the other frame rate. Settings depend on what you are converting from and to.

Manually recut the footage back into the sequence. Sorry, there is no way to relink when the frame rate differs.

It is best to deal with off frame rates BEFORE you edit. Because, as you can see, dealing with it after is a bit of a pain, and takes time and effort.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]