FORUMS: list search recent posts

relinking media - same project, same media, but link to duplicate files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erika Simon
relinking media - same project, same media, but link to duplicate files
on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:18:47 pm

I'm using FCP 7. I have Sony footage (AVCHD .mov) that was imported to my mobile drive using log and transfer. I edited my project using the mobile drive and am ready to archive all.

Do you know how to relink my media files to duplicate media stored on a different drive?

I want to relink to my archive drive and delete the media on my mobile drive.

The problem is that I seem to have saved the AVCHD files directly from the camera to the archive drive via copy and paste, rather than doing it through log and transfer within FCP. Now, I cannot "unpack" the individual .mov files (which I can see via QuickTime viewer) from within the AVCHD "container" stored on the archive drive in order to access them via FCP.

Can anyone advise? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: relinking media - same project, same media, but link to duplicate files
on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:55:28 pm

[Erika Simon] "I want to relink to my archive drive and delete the media on my mobile drive."

Does the Archive Drive contain all of the Logged and Transferred media...ProRes media? Or does it contain the camera originals? YOu cannot relink to the camera originals.

My advice...use the Media Manager to COPY, and choose the option WITH HANDLES...45 frame handles. And then copy that to a USB drive. That will archive the Logged and Transferred footage, and only what was used in the cut, with handles.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Erika Simon
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:55:59 pm

Thanks, Shane. The archive drive contains only the camera originals.

Another question: Do you recommend keeping the camera originals even after transferring the media to .mov files and working with them in FCP?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 20, 2014 at 5:21:38 pm

[Erika Simon] "Do you recommend keeping the camera originals even after transferring the media to .mov files and working with them in FCP?"

HELL yes! Those are your master tapes. Not only do they take up MUCH less space than the converted files, thus allowing you to not need as much storage to archive them, but then you can bring them into any edit system you might need to in the future. Sure, PPro and Avid are compatible with FCP formats now...but who knows what the future might hold.

And back up that archive drive...TWO copies. Drives fail...just a matter of time.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Erika Simon
on Mar 20, 2014 at 6:04:06 pm

Thanks, Shane. We use a mirrored RAID drive for our archive -- my colleagues say this is like having two copies. Do you agree? That plus my mobile drive which I use for editing. Is that enough?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 20, 2014 at 6:14:32 pm

[Erika Simon] "We use a mirrored RAID drive for our archive -- my colleagues say this is like having two copies. Do you agree?"

Agree. Good call.

[Erika Simon] "That plus my mobile drive which I use for editing. Is that enough?"

Yup...perfect.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]