FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intermittent Log & Transfer problem - FCP 7.03, HDV video, HVR MRC1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilbert Daspit
Intermittent Log & Transfer problem - FCP 7.03, HDV video, HVR MRC1
on Mar 14, 2014 at 7:11:38 pm

I have an idiosyncratic problem with logging and transferring. I'm using a Sony HVR-270U camcorder with the HVR MRC1 compact flash recorder. I'm using 32gb Lexar, UDMA and UDMA 7 cards. I have a piece of Sony software to allow FCP to perform logging and transferring of files from the CF card.
Generally this combination works very well. The log and tranfer window shows thumbnails of all the clips I've recorded and for most of the clips I can preview them, mark in and out points and transfer whatever portions of them I need to my capture scratch drive. However, it seems like a few clips from each CF card won't transfer. When I click the "add clip to queue" button, the transfer process starts but nothing happens and eventually I end up with a red exclamation mark by the clip in the queue showing the there's a problem with this clip. I've right-clicked on the red mark and find there's an "FCP Stream Error."
I've captured clips straight from the CF card, which I've learned isn't the recommended route but early-on when I first got the camera and started using log & transfer, (almost 2 years ago), I NEVER ran into the Stream Error problem. I'd guess it was four months or more before I first saw this problem. This makes me wonder if somehow my CF cards are developing bad sectors or something. I do delete all the clips when I'm done with them (I do this by using the finder in the Macintosh -- Mac OS X v. 10.6.7 -- I just throw the clips in the trash and empty it).
I've started to copy the cards, using disc utility and making an image, then using the image for log and transfer. But just today I noticed that the image seems to work just like the card -- mostly great, but then a few clips with Stream Errors.
Another variable I've thought about is that I have some older (May, 2012) 400X UDMA cards and some newer (Sept. 2013) 800X UDMA 7 cards. But since I started buying faster cards, I updated my card reader to a USB 3.0 model by Lexar, just like the cards.
With this information is there anyone who has an idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Gil

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Intermittent Log & Transfer problem - FCP 7.03, HDV video, HVR MRC1
on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:29:24 pm

Have you trashed your FCP preferences lately? Bad preferences are a common source of FCP weirdness. There's a freebie FCP preferences manager from Digital Rebellion you should use to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]