FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline keeps un-rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Timeline keeps un-rendering
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:08:12 pm

I'm near the end of a 45 minute edit that was shot in 1920x1080. For some reason, if I do anything new or make any changes to the timeline, a large portion the most recent clips in the timeline reverts back to un-rendered every time. I have to render it again and again in small sections because it will stop rendering and say out of memory. I can't render ALL the un-rendered clips at one time.

I've done many projects of this size and bigger with just 4gb ram with no issues. Why now?
"Is this simply an answer to just add more RAM? Or is something else gone wrong with this timeline?"

Thanks

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Timeline keeps un-rendering
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:39:29 pm

Are you using a lot of high-rez stills in this project?

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Mar 14, 2014 at 7:03:17 pm

Mark....As a matter of fact, yes I am using a lot of medium to HI-REZ stills. And nearly every one has a motion added to them (Ken Burns effect).

This is one project that required a lot of stills from another photographer. Since there were so many, I reduced them to a meduim REZ using iPhoto's batch process....but even still, the DPI did not change, only the width and height did. They are still 300dpi but now much smaller in inches. They were extremely large in width and height originally, and I thought by batch processing them in iPhoto would reduce the DPI as well. It did not. It only reduced the measurements.

I don't have a lot of experience using this many stills at one time. I've used a few in the past and I changed them manually "one by one" to about 150dpi.

Is this the reason why I can't hold a render? What should the REZ be?

Thanks so much...

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:13:38 pm

Actually, the dpi has little bearing on how FCP treats the image. Like all video applications, it's all about the pixels. Thus, a 3-inch-wide picture at 300 dpi is 900 pixels wide: not a very big pic.

FCP also has a limit on the horizontal & vertical dimensions of stills. It's either 3000 or 4000; I forget which.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Mar 14, 2014 at 9:38:43 pm

Dave
Are you suggesting that my rendering issue may be something else, other than HI-Rez stills?

jc

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:10:09 pm

Nope. I think it's the size of the stills. If they're any bigger than 4000x4000, there's trouble.

And if they absolutely, positively MUST be bigger than 4000x4000, well, there's always Motion. Or After Effects, if you prefer. Either can zoom and move around on stills quite nicely.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]