FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems Exporting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Payne
Problems Exporting
on Mar 14, 2014 at 4:25:23 pm

When I'm exporting my feature film through compressor i keep getting a message that final cut has unexpectedly quit. A week or so ago there was a mishap where the external drive was unplugged while running and things have been acting buggy since. However, I've always had exporting issues.

I've always had trouble rendering out to a 1080p HD .mov file and if I select "best" quality it is guaranteed to mess up (it completes but the video will skip or have digital breakdown in places and usually lags). This happens when I go through quicktime conversion. I sometimes go through compressor for the HD .mov, but that sometimes fails as well. I generally have to render out through compressor multiple times (for a feature film, mpeg2) before I ever get one that actually completes.

I'm wondering if some element of my system has always been a bit behind. Video card perhaps, etc. I've been considering buying a new machine, but funds are tight and would love to use this macbook pro for a bit longer if possible. Any ideas at all as to what could be causing it? I'm not strong in the tech field so please forgive my ignorance (tho I do try to study it).

THANKS FOR ANY THOUGHTS!!!

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM - GeForce 8600M GT
111.47 GB capacity Hard Drive (12.12 GB free) - OS X 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problems Exporting
on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:58:27 pm

What is the codec of the footage in your project?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Mar 14, 2014 at 9:42:37 pm

It's H.264 (from canon 60d).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 14, 2014 at 10:29:55 pm

That's your problem. FCP doesn't work with H.264 files well at all. The issue is that it SEEMS like it will at first, but all sorts of potential issues arise, such as this. You need to convert your footage to ProRes first, then edit.

A possible quick fix for this is to open your SEQUENCE>SETTINGS and change the sequence COMPRESSOR to ProRes 422...and then render. Then output.

Next time, convert all of your footage to ProRes before you start editing....if you want to continue using FCP 7. FCX will work native, but will also convert to ProRes automatically for you. Adobe Premiere will work with this footage natively...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:39:45 pm

Well crud, I've been doing this wrong for a good while. THANKS SO MUCH! I did a quick search that said to basically import the clips to compressor then render the batch with the prores setting. I'm assuming that is the best method (as I begin a new project). I'll most definitely try the SEQUENCE>SETTINGS solution given that the feature is fully edited at this point.

After adopting the ProRes conversion does it seem to you that my editing setup should be able to handle this type of footage without much issue? Meaning this mac will last me a bit?

Thanks again for your help! I study these forums quite a bit when I'm having issues and I greatly value your time and opinion.

-gp

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]