FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very dark video in the viewer and canvas windows.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim McLean
Very dark video in the viewer and canvas windows.
on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:22:09 pm

We have just installed Mavericks on two of our MacPros. Running Final Cut 7 using ASUS PA248Q monitors. Since the install video in both the Viewer and Canvas windows is extremely dark on each computer. Yet when output to a monitor or play video back in any other program the video is the correct level. I don't see any adjustments in Final Cut for this. Can you help?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Very dark video in the viewer and canvas windows.
on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:28:29 pm

Why did you upgrade to Mavericks? Apple didn't take any consideration as to the compatibility of FCP 7 to their new OS...because they discontinued it 2 years ago. People have reported a slew of different issues they've had with FCP 7 running on Mavericks.

Rule of thumb is to never upgrade the OS on a machine you are using to earn money on, if the current setup works. And never upgrade unless you are assured that the software you rely on is supported on this new OS. Apple makes no claim as to FCP 7 and Mavericks.

My solution would be to back up your files, erase the hard drive, and install a compatible OS.

As a second rule of thumb, since we have two thumbs...always CLONE your working system before you upgrade the OS...in case things don't work. if they don't...restore the working system.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:02:02 pm

Shane, our IT folks are getting ready to upgrade our macs to mavericks. I work at a tv station and they are fearful of security issues since 10.6.8 is no longer supported. We all run FCP 7 on 10.6.8. what are the issues that you have heard of.? would it in your opinion be better to upgrade to mountain lion instead.?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:07:24 pm

Jerry, FCP 7 works fine on Mountain Lion...that's where I am now with my laptop, which is my main workhorse at the moment. Although my Tower still is running 10.6.8. I wouldn't go beyond Mountain Lion.

Explain to IT that you use the computer to run specific software, and you cannot upgrade that computer to Mavericks, for that software isn't compatible with that OS. This is why many companies still run Windows XP, or Vista...they don't upgrade to later versions, because the software the company uses, or networking software IT might use, will not function well on the later OS.

What are the issues with FCP 7 on Mavericks? There are many, and they are all random. Sync issues, log and transfer not working with camera formats that it used to work with, gamma issues like mentioned here, plugins not working, system hanging when trying to quit and you need to force quit...send to COMPRESSOR not working, Color not working...on and on.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:59:31 pm

Shane, you are absolutely right, leave things well alone. When Apple release a new O.S. more often than not it takes away more functionality in older apps than it gives. These boards are littered with similar complaints and many a time I've wanted to say, WHY?

Jim, why not ask your IT guys to take your edit stations off any external network but keep them on your LAN for internal file transfers. It's not generally a good idea anyway with an edit station as left to it's own devices whilst having a live internet connection it's constantly polling remote servers, also Apple and other software vendors interrogating your system in the background. All of which is a drain on your already maxed out processing power.

Roger.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:48:58 pm

What Shane said. Look at the list of choices you have in System Preferences>Displays>Color tab. Perhaps a different choice will provide better results.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]