VTR / External Sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alyssa Ryvers
VTR / External Sync
on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:21:19 pm
Last Edited By Alyssa Ryvers on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:13:36 pm

Hi all,

I've been pulling my hair out for the past week...

I can get Media Composer to chase my VTR via an Addenda 2/9 USB -> SONY 9-pin serial adaptor (RS-232 <-> RS-422), but I cannot get FCP to connect with my VTR no matter what I do...

Could someone please give me a hand?

Also, am I correct that it would not work in FCX?

I'm using a MacBook Pro.

Best,

Alyssa

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: VTR / External Sync
on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:16:32 pm

How is the deck connected to the computer VIDEO wise? Why do you need that external deck controller? Most video capture cards have built in deck control.

And no, FCX will not work with that. FCX only captures from tape if it is DV or HDV....via firewire.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alyssa Ryvers
on Mar 12, 2014 at 2:36:00 pm

Thanks so much, Shane!

The control for the deck is connected via it's SONY 9-Pin (serial) out to this RS-422 to RS-232 converter (switchable): http://www.addenda.com/addenda-elect/products/rs29.php;

from that converter to this Keyspan serial to USB converter: http://www.tripplite.com/sku/USA19HS/

These were the hardware recommendations for Media Composer, which now chases my deck.

Do you know whether FCPX will work both as a master and slave if it receives DV or HDV via firewire?

Best,

Alyssa

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:22:58 pm

[Alyssa Ryvers] "These were the hardware recommendations for Media Composer, which now chases my deck."

This is the FCP forum...why are you talking about Media Composer?

And OK, that's DECK CONTROL...what about VIDEO CAPTURE? What device are you using to capture VIDEO? Avid mainly relies on Nitris and Mojo...those don't work in FCP, however. FCP uses hardware from AJA, Blackmagic-Design (Decklink), Matrox. And all of those have built in deck control...no need for those cables and adapters.

[Alyssa Ryvers] "Do you know whether FCPX will work both as a master and slave if it receives DV or HDV via firewire?"

I doubt it. FCX is lucky to even support tape capture...as Apple thinks that tape is dead. For firewire to work as deck control, you need a deck or camera that uses it as such. DSR-11 did that, as did a lot of cameras. There's no adapting firewire for deck control.

I'm still VERY confused by your post, though. You are talking about solutions for Media Composer...and only deck control. No video IO...and not mentioning FCP....other than FCX, that doesn't really do "tape."

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alyssa Ryvers
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:59:02 pm
Last Edited By Alyssa Ryvers on Mar 14, 2014 at 1:26:29 am

Hi Shane,

As I explained in my first post:

[Alyssa Ryvers] I can get Media Composer to chase my VTR via an Addenda 2/9 USB -> SONY 9-pin serial adaptor (RS-232 <-> RS-422), but I cannot get FCP to connect with my VTR no matter what I do...

The point being that I can get the hardware working using MC -- but so far, not FCP, which is why I'm asking...

I am not actually capturing video, which is why I am NOT using a video capture card; I am actually just using the SONY 9-Pin RS-422 protocol to sync two computers. Do you think I could get FCP7 or X to do this? Might I need to buy a new piece of hardware?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:06:08 pm

Sorry, you won't get FCP nor FCX to do this. FCP never worked with those adapters, only with video IO cards that came with drivers. No drivers for those cables/adapters were ever written for FCP. And FCX doesn't work with anything outside of firewire.

Since I am not familiar with exactly what you are trying to do...I mean, I get what you are trying to do, but I've never had to try to do it...I don't know what hardware to suggest.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:36:35 pm

The question is, WHY are you trying to slave two computers? To what end? What are you trying to accomplish?

Knowing that, we may be able to offer less cumbersome alternatives.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alyssa Ryvers
on Mar 17, 2014 at 1:57:50 pm

Hi guys,

I've been doing more tests, and here's a question --

Is there a way for FCP (either 7 or X) to send or receive TC and/or machine commands via FW or USB/Serial while it is playing back a session? If TC and/or machine commands can only be sent/received while in capture mode, is there some way FCP will play back a session while it is in capture mode?

Best,

Alyssa

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:05:50 pm

[Alyssa Ryvers] "Is there a way for FCP (either 7 or X) to send or receive TC and/or machine commands via FW or USB/Serial while it is playing back a session?"

No.

[Alyssa Ryvers] " If TC and/or machine commands can only be sent/received while in capture mode, is there some way FCP will play back a session while it is in capture mode?"

It can also send TC/Deck control when in OUTPUT mode. But the answer is still no.

Sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alyssa Ryvers
on Mar 23, 2014 at 2:11:37 am

Alright. Thanks, both!

Best,

Alyssa

Return to posts index