'future-proof' new iMac VS late 2012 iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Dunphy
'future-proof' new iMac VS late 2012 iMac
on Mar 11, 2014 at 2:02:12 pm
Last Edited By Peter Dunphy on Mar 11, 2014 at 2:22:10 pm

Hi Guys

For FCPX editing for a large company, I'm trying to justify the purchase of the latest iMac instead of them sticking with an older (late 2012) iMac.

My feeling (not based on any hard facts whatsoever) is that the newest iMac could 'future-proof' them from any (say in next 24 months anyway) Apple OS updates or FCPX updates that could render the older iMac unusable for FCPX. In other words, the newest iMac may have a longer shelf-life.

So, I'm proposing a--

(latest 2014) 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
VIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

--instead of a:

iMac 27 inch, Late 2012 3.4 Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024MB

From your experience, could there be a chance that while the late-2012 iMac might work with Final Cut Pro X today, any future (next, say, 24 months) OS or FCPX update from Apple could render it unusable for FCPX editing?

What advantages might there be in purchasing the newest iMac for FCPX editing?

Any thoughts would be really welcome.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 'future-proof' new iMac VS late 2012 iMac
on Mar 11, 2014 at 2:41:37 pm

I personally think the slightly older iMac would still have every chance of being suitable to cut in X for the next 24 months, and if it were me, I would instead spend immediate money towards external Thunderbolt RAID drives, or whatever else your shop needs regarding the edit station, such as a camera card reader, bluRay burner, DVD dubber/printer, LTO tape drive, External reference monitors and good reference speakers, or shared SAN storage for files. Whatever it is you need and don't have for the way you work.

That sort of stuff. And the nice part about those purchases is that they are not rendered obsolete when and if you DO eventually upgrade the iMac.

Return to posts index

Peter Dunphy
Re: 'future-proof' new iMac VS late 2012 iMac
on Mar 11, 2014 at 2:48:10 pm

Thanks Mark, appreciate it :o)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]