FORUMS: list search recent posts

Too Many Titles- client differences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tori de Moreno
Too Many Titles- client differences
on Mar 8, 2014 at 4:57:21 pm

Hi. I'm editing a music video for a client and a demo reel for another. Some issues are popping up.

Both of my clients want to have many different images to represent them in the video, using different fonts on different colored backgrounds to introduce their work, creating many different titles in their video. For example, the first title introduces the band with one album cover, and then there is a matte with the album title in another color and different font, followed by the song title. This is at the beginning of the video. At the end, there is another DIFFERENT album cover for the same album, and then contact info over another matte in a third color, with the info in a third font. I think it's a bit much.

I think it's best to use one logo that is the same all the time, to represent yourself. This helps with branding and makes a video and the artist look more professional.

My clients want to insist on using three or four different logos at the end and beginning of their videos. These videos are for Youtube/Vimeo and to pass to possible prospective producers. I feel that the album cover listed on say, iTunes should be the same as the one a band uses in their video on Youtube.

I like the projects, but have to admit, I'm reluctant to advertise that I edited the work, as the titles look unprofessional, to me.

Anyone have experience in dealing with these creative differences, and/or tips for influencing clients? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Too Many Titles- client differences
on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:33:34 pm

Do the clients explain *why* they want it this way?

Are they going for a theme, like this video?

Return to posts index

Tori de Moreno
on Mar 10, 2014 at 3:05:30 pm

Hi, thanks for your comment. No, the titles aren't used like this. In the video you posted, to me they're linked to a concept (nice video), and I see how they work- they have a purpose. It sounds like the lyrics of 'Nth Degree' reference many different types of music, disco and turning on the radio, etc. so I see how showing the name of the band in different fonts/with different backgrounds is linked to the overall concept of celebrating music in it's many genres, and all different types of band fans.

The clients I have just have had many graphics designed for them or by themselves over time, and they like them all and want to use them all.

Maybe pointing out that, it's ok to use many titles, styles etc. if it's linked to the overall concept is ok, but not useful if it's not, would be helpful. Thanks for jogging my thoughts! I don't mean to complain about clients, I'm grateful to have them, but I found it frustrating. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:16:38 pm

Not everything is destined for your demo reel; sometimes all you can do is advise and make your best case from a technical and aesthetic standpoint, then stand back, accept instructions and let them take the responsibility. Do it with a smile, and don't show that you disapprove, and maybe they will come back later at some point and say: "You were right all along, can you fix it now?" The nice part about that is that it's more billable time, which often matters more than who was wrong or right the last time:-)

Even better is to make it seem like your change is the client's own idea, by asking them pointed questions about how they imagine an audience will perceive this or that issue; " Is there some subtext you're going for here, with all the font variations, versus keeping to one central look?"

Client decisions may be based on factors you can't possibly know, so it pays to play detective a little sometimes when discussing the creative options. Arguing won't help, but questions framed as your attempts to better collaborate, see things their way, and realize their "creative vision" will.

Return to posts index

Tori de Moreno
on Mar 11, 2014 at 12:53:16 am

Thanks- those are really good points-very useful techniques. A lot to learn from. Thanks very much for commenting!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]