FORUMS: list search recent posts

MTS files to ProRes422(HQ)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lewis
MTS files to ProRes422(HQ)
on Mar 7, 2014 at 6:10:34 am

I've encountered a weird phenomena and am looking for a solution.

I have been given an interview with an AVCHD MTS codec. The footage is shot in 50fps (a PAL project) 1920X1080. Apparently the camera automatically cut the hour or so long interview into 2.13GB size files.

Now when I try and Log and Transfer this footage into my FCP 7 project (25 fps, ProRes 422 HQ) the program crashes about 2/3 into the transfer process.

After several attempts and still having the program crash I thought to simple take the MTS files and convert them (via Wondershare File Converter) to the Prores 422 (HQ) format and then simply import them.

This WORKS.. BUT these individual files that were once 2.11GB come out to be(ready for this...) 32GB (!!!) size files.

Looking for suggestions to:

1)resolve the original problem to import the AVCHD MTS files into my Proress 422 (HQ) project or
2)how to get a much less heavier Prores file from the MTS files to then bring into FCP.

This is the first time I've ever run into this type of problem... is it typical and I'm missing something??

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: MTS files to ProRes422(HQ)
on Mar 7, 2014 at 3:08:44 pm

The large increase in file size is expected. AVCHD is a heavily compressed codec, ProRes is not. Since you're going from AVCHD to ProRes, you do not need to go to ProRes HQ, regular ProRes or ProRes LT will suffice and give you slightly smaller file sizes since their data rate isn't as high.

As for why Log and Transfer is locking up, I'm not sure. Hopefully one of the other FCP users on here has a suggestion.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2014 at 5:10:39 pm

FCP doesn't work with the non-standard formats of 1080p50 and 1080p60. By non-standard, I mean there's no final delivery method for that format. BluRay doesn't do it...TV broadcast doesn't do it. And it'll choke the web. The data rate is simply too high. 50fps and 60fps is the realm of 720p...that has delivery methods on BluRay, TV and web.

It's really designed to be used to make smooth slow motion....but also introduced to consumer cameras for some unknown reason.

It's because of that format that Log and Transfer doesn't work. It only works with standard frame sizes and frame rates.

As for the file size increase...Eric hit the nail on the head.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Mar 8, 2014 at 8:34:39 pm

Thank you Eric and Shane, as usual useful and helpful information. I didn't realize AVCHD compressed files that much! I also appreciate the clarification between 720 and 1080.

With most of the stuff I have shot (PAL) I try and use 720. This was shot for a client and delivered to me for editing.

Can you recommend a procedure where I can lower the weight of the files and still keep good quality for my editing and final product? I'm open to suggestions... I will have to work with the files I have right now but would love to be able to work with less heavy files.

Thanks for your input.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Mar 9, 2014 at 6:11:22 pm

Today I took the MTS footage and converted it to Apple Prores 422(HQ) via "Wondershare Video Converter". I'm not sure how professional this converter is, but seems to be doing the trick (in the middle of the process now). I made a custom setting to 25 fps at 1920 X 1080 and so far three of the several clips have converted fine.... at a weight a bit more manageable between 15-17 GB.

One thing I did seem to notice today as I reviewed other footage (at 25 fps as well) is that some of my footage seemed to slightly stagger/jittered...

It looks like I need to play with my Sequence settings to try and resolve that issue. When I put in another clip (shot as an MOV at 25 fps) the prompt to match the sequence settings to the clip settings ended up having this "stagger" (jitter?) yet when I said "no", the sequence played smoothly.

I double checked to see that the project "Sequence Settings" matched the clips settings... Any advice?

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]