FORUMS: list search recent posts

Artifacts are in my Soreson Squeezed footage!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Larkins
Artifacts are in my Soreson Squeezed footage!
on Mar 4, 2014 at 5:00:19 am

So a client has given us some commercials to put together in with some other videos, kind of like a commercial break if you will between segments.

They sent us these videos that have when we drop them into FCP they take on artifacts. The image I've uploaded is supposed to be this gentleman on an all white background, BUT as you can see there are black lines and weird pixelation issues that occur. I have no idea how to handle this. Tried reconverting them in MPEG Streamclip, still artifacts. I tried creating a new sequence and having the sequence match the MOV settings, still artifacts.

Does anyone have any clue to why this would happen? I assume it's because something isn't compatible with something else, but I don't know what they are or how to make them play nicely together per se.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Information on the file is below. Thanks in advance!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Artifacts are in my Soreson Squeezed footage!
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:30:23 am

Convert the files to ProRes. FCP doesn't work with H.264.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2014 at 4:22:24 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 4, 2014 at 4:24:44 pm

I might also recommend that you respectfully ask the client to send you something OTHER than h.264 in the first place. The very act of encoding to h.264 tosses away image information.

And mp4's aren't any better.

For YOUR purposes, ProRes 422 is great... and you're the one cutting the break together, not the client. Of course, pristine image quality may not be high on the client's list of priorities, too....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Mar 4, 2014 at 4:32:03 pm

Hi Lee,
Isn't Soreson Squeeze a pretty elderly codec? So maybe it's not h.264? I remember using Soreson before h.264 came on the scene.
Are the artefacts in the original when you play it back on the desktop? If not, as a last resort, you can try a motion screen capture to capture desktop playback to a codec of your choice (I've had to do this occasionally!)
What's the playback method? If they're being shown at an event you could make a playlist of all the original video files and play them back with VLC Player or similar.

Those artefacts look more serious than mere overcompression - it looks like the decoder can't read the codec properly or there's corruption in the file.

Paddy, CreativeMedia.org.uk

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 4, 2014 at 5:05:29 pm

[Paddy Uglow] "Isn't Soreson Squeeze a pretty elderly codec? So maybe it's not h.264? I remember using Soreson before h.264 came on the scene."

SORENSON is a company...they made a codec called "Sorenson," but SQUEEZE is an encoding product...like Compressor or Media Encoder. Squeeze is generally used on systems with Avid software installed.

But I agree with the rest of the post...does the footage look like that when you play it on the Finder level? QUicktime? Compressing to H.264 does throw away a lot of info...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lee Larkins
on Mar 4, 2014 at 5:20:25 pm

Thank you all for your replies! Way quicker response than the Sorenson Squeeze forum.
So when I look at the files in the Finder (I'm on a Mac), they play fine, but when I slowly scroll through them at a slower speed a smaller amount of artifacts appear during the cross dissolves.

Back in the early 2000's I used the Sorenson codecs, but haven't used them for many years since MP4 adn then H.264 came into play.

I've tried converting them to Apple Pro Res through MPEG Streamclip and Apple's Compressor, but still get artifacts.

I've gotten to the point where I've had to break down and requested for apple pro res footage.
I'm not really sure what they will give me honestly. They gave me a commercial that was a 720x480 WMV file to use for a 1280x720 video. The worst part is they are a media company for a respectable client. Not sure how that's been working for them, but since I rarely do work with them and they pay good I can put up with it lol

Waiting to hear from client on new files. If I have any further developments I'll be glad to share with you kind FCP folks!

If you have anymore questions I'll be more than happy to answer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:03:36 pm

I see two different resolutions mentioned: one's SD, the other's HD. Which one are you supposed to deliver?

And that Windows Media source footage it just downright icky... I feel your pain.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]