FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixellated DVD from FCP Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
Pixellated DVD from FCP Project
on Mar 4, 2014 at 1:06:44 am

I had someone shoot a job for me and they had a problem with their camera. They were supposed to shoot in HDV, but their HDV camera had a power supply issue so they went to their back-up camera. Thing is their back up camera was a 4:3 DVCAM unit. So I had to edit their 4:3 footage which I did in my Final Cut Pro 7.03 editing system (I dont have FCP X).

Well after editing the project I went into Sequence settings and made it an anamorphic sequence by checking anamorphic. I re-rendered everything and Exported to QT Movie, with the self contained box checked. The.mov that was produced looked good on the computer playback. However, when I brought it into DVD Studio Pro 4 and burned a DVD; I am getting an overly pixellated playback, at times, from the DVD.

So I went back and tried repeating the process, but this time I unchecked the anamorphic Sequence Setting and brought it back to 4:3.
Unfortunately I got the same results. A decent looking .mov on my computer, and a very pixellated DVD burn from DVD Studio Pro 4.

My RT settings are:
Safe RT,
Scrub High Quality,
Playback Video Quality: Dynamic
Playback Frame Rate: Full

Does anyone have any suggestions? (My end user client is getting a bit impatient). Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Pixellated DVD from FCP Project
on Mar 4, 2014 at 1:09:55 am

Where did you monitor the DVD? TV or computer?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Mar 4, 2014 at 1:30:47 am

Both TV & Computer. After DVD was burned it did not play well on either a TV or a computer. However the .mov that was made by FCP Export to QT Movie played well on the computer.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 4, 2014 at 4:07:21 am

What were your DVDSP settings, i.e. Bit-rate, VBR or constant, Dolby or PCM audio?
How long is the program?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2014 at 3:40:25 pm

Are you watching this SD DVD on a TV set that is set to "scale-up" an Sd input to fill a 16x9 screen? I'm saying this may be a TV settings problem. What were your specific project and sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:21:22 pm

Mark - I have the TV display set up on FULL. That does not fill the wide screen with a 4:3 image.
my image was scaled up to 16:9 in FCP (anamorphic SEQUENCE SETTING).

My SEQUENCE SETTINGS are:
Frame Size: 720 x 480 NTSC DV (3:2)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 601 DV...
Anamorphic 16:9 box is checked
Field Dominance Lower - Even
Editing Time base: 29.97
QT Video Settings: Compressor DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Audio: 48khz, 16 Bit, Channel grouped

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:42:03 pm

Dean, I don't know what that means about your TV setting, but if it is a wide screen modern HDTV and you feed it a 4x3 SD signal you should see black side bars and letterbox bars top and bottom, with your 4:3 picture centered in the middle of the black. If "full" means expanding the incoming SD signal to cover more of the screen in any way, the TV is up-scaling the incoming SD footage and that may certainly cause some visual artifacts like pixellation and image softness. If it looks "good" on your computer monitor but "pixellated" on the TV, either the output from your video card tot he TV is set wrong, or the TV itself is set wrong, is going to be my working theory. You could test that out by cycling the TV thru all it's various display options.

I'm not sure you're helping by setting non-anamorphic 4:3 SD footage in an anamorphic sequence: that is bound to cause image distortion as well, unless the original footage was shot anamorphic.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Mar 4, 2014 at 8:27:36 pm

Mark, I made both a 4:3 version and an anamorphic version in FCP and exported both versions to QT.Movie and they both play fine on a computer. Then i convert the QT Movie file to DVD. I don't have a set up that plays directly to my TV from the computer. I make a DVD on DVD Studio Pro 4 and then play the DVD's on a DVD player and out to my 16:9 TV set. i made both 4:3 and 16:9 versions on DVD. They BOTH give me the same pixellation issues. BTW: The 4:3 DVD has black bars on the sides and plays back in 4:3 on my TV set.

Anyway, I've never had this issue before. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2014 at 9:16:42 pm

Is the DVD player up-scaling?

Can you post a still of the pictures?

Meanwhile, let's see if your DVDSP prefs are set like this:

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Mar 4, 2014 at 11:58:11 pm

Mark - Thanks very much for your reply. My settings were on default in the General Tab:
16:9
Auto
One Pass VBR bit rate: 4.0
Max Bit rate: 7.0
Motion: Better

On the Encode Tab:
1280 720P resolution (i thought this setting was for HD projects only and so left it on 1280 720p)

That may have beeen the problem, (though I have burned many a DVD on those settings with no issues....)

Anyway, I'm burning a DVD now on your suggested settings.
Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 5, 2014 at 12:04:24 am

Fingers crossed! My gut says somewhere some scaling is going on that's wrong, so maybe these settings will help, but the player and TV must be set to view native 3:4 Sd programming without altering it, to be sure. To be scientific, we have to eliminate all the variables and tweak one thing at a tim.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:39:28 am

Hey Mark - Thanks for taking the time to help out. Unfortunately the DVD burn still had the pixellation in the same spots. I'm going to try sending it through Compressor...

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:12:03 pm

I set up DVDSP a long time ago. I've used it a million times with good results. Not sure where to find the bit and VBR settings. I looked in prefs but could not find. I'm sure I set up for 8 bit if that's what you mean. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:44:33 pm

Dean,

How long is your program? Your bit-rate is appropriate for a 2-hour program, but if it is shorter than that, you can increase it. If it is under 1 hour, I would try a constant bit-rate of 7 or 7.5. Also, encode your audio using Dolby. I'm not sure DVDSP has that feature. You may need to use Compressor.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:00:30 pm

Program Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

i made a separate MPEG2 video, and an ac3 audio track, instead of an all contained .mov, and it worked.
Did the above in Compressor.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]