FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import/export of files and the question of codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl Madsen
Import/export of files and the question of codec
on Mar 4, 2014 at 12:07:07 am

I'm want to work in low res to ease the process. But I still want a great result. So does it make a difference which codec I import in when I have the option of exporting in any codec I want to?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Import/export of files and the question of codec
on Mar 4, 2014 at 12:33:39 am

If you work in an offline/online workflow, and you want the final to look good, what you do is work in low resolution, to save space and ease up on the computers processors, but when you are done, you then "online" meaning relink to the masters and recompress the footage to a higher resolution.

[Karl Madsen] "So does it make a difference which codec I import in when I have the option of exporting in any codec I want to?"

If you import as Offline RT HD, or ProRes Proxy...you are compressing the footage greatly in order to conserve space. The video quality isn't as good as the higher resolutions. So when you export this at a higher resolution...the lower compression artifacts that exist in the low res footage, will still exist in the export. The footage doesn't "magically" upres on export.

You can only do the offline/online workflow if you capture from tape and use an IO video capture device (DV DVCPRO HD and HDV only come in native via firewire)...or if you shot tapeless, you must use Log and Transfer if you want to be able to smoothly and easily re-import that footage used in the cut at higher resolution. If you encode outside of FCP with Compressor, or MPEG STREAMCLIP, or other third party option, you'll then need to re-encode ALL of the footage to high resolution, and try to relink...and that can get sticky.

I have a workflow for this tapeless offline/online thing...

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Karl Madsen
Re: Import/export of files and the question of codec
on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:30:37 pm

Hi Shane.
Totally forgot. But even though you answered me a long time ago, thanks. That was a great answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]